Is it normal to lose feelings for someone while you are deployed

I been living with my boyfriend since November and been with him since November because of my housing situation. I deploy In October for Afghanistan . I seen all my friends lose feelings while overseas and they met new people. Is this normal to lose feelings for someone while deployed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Military

• I think being deployed can be very stressful, and a lot of people end up leaning on those who are there with them, or at home with them when their partner is on assignment, and letteing things go to far. I know this because I have a good friend whose husband has been overseas a couple of times, and it was hard on both of them. It's important to stay connected as much as you can and not let the situation make you drift toward someone else.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My husband is going through his 3rd deployment right now and neither of us have lost feelings for each other, we have gone 14 months, 12 months, and now 9months apart and are still in love and faithful to each other. If you can't last through a deployment, you wont last. I have Never put myself in a position where I could even come close to getting feelings for another man.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Yeah you won't last if you marry him. Run while you can. Military life is not for you.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Now marriage is different...there's faith in that but we not married not have kids together. I have one son but by someone else
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• no, i dont think thats normal unless the relationship wasn't strong to begin with. my ex, when we were together, was deployed for 15 months and i loved him just as fiercely when he was gone as i did before he left. we obviously arent together anymore now but its not because of the deployment.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• See we just been together since November and my friends tell me that my feelings is gone fade. They are over there also and their relationships has ended because it wasn't long term such as mines. But if it happens it will only happen for a reason
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• If you both love each other and communicate, you'll make it last.

Thank you for your service!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• The only way your feelings will fade is if you LET them fade. My husband has been on 5 deployments, and we just celebrated our 13th anniversary last month.

As others stated, it makes it much easier if you can regularly call/talk on Skype/whatever to stay connected.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• we are not married...so thats different..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2013