C-SECTION JITTERS!

Hey Ladies!

I'm pregnant with my first baby, and was wanting to have a vaginal delivery since day 1. Unfortunately, my placenta is way to close to my cervix, so my doctor told me I have to have a c-section in which i'm scheduled for on August 1st. I'm so scared!! If there is any advice any of you ladies can give me, I feel that would help so much. Everyone I know has had a vaginal birth so they can't really relate. Also what should I pack in my hospital bag?

Thank you :)

mommytobe8113

Asked by mommytobe8113 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Pregnancy

• go home clothes and baby clothes
    toiletries
    bra
    reading material- phone chargers, camera- batteries
    socks
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I can't help you with the C-section, just wish you lots of luck and a speedy recovery. Take plenty of extra clothes for you and the baby, your own soap and shampoo (the hospital's sucks) socks, a gown or super stretchy pants, baby's car seat, something to keep you entertained, if you're the type of person that gets bored easily. GL!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Nothing that you would pack for a vaginal birth. Maybe loose fitting cloths. Something that will not irretate your c-section area.

Answer by louise2 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I had to have a c-section. It wasn't too bad. For me I had to sleep in the recliner that way I could get up easily. You won't be able to drink soda for a few weeks or drive a car. Healing time is longer for a c-section that vaginal birth, but nothing too bad.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I have had 2 csections and 3 vaginal births. I would take a csection any day! Obviously there is some pain involved, don't be afraid to ask for meds that are safe for breastfeeding. I had no problems nursing but some people have, ask for an appointment with the hospital's lactation consultant at least to observe you nurse and give you some pointers. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends, family, etc.
    I loved having my births planned! I pre planned my meals and was able to have all my favorite snacks on hand. Relax - it will be perfect!

Answer by missanc at 9:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I had an urgent C-section, and while I wouldn't call it fun, it wasn't the end of the world. The surgery part was begun and over with in half an hour or so, and other than not lifting anything heavier than my baby for a few weeks and not going up and down the stairs in my house more than I had to, recovery wasn't too hard. Best wishes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Oh, nursing. Do ask to talk to the lactation consultant in the hospital right away if you plan to nurse because there will be a period of time when you won't have the baby right with you. At least there was for me, because I was getting sewn up, and then I couldn't leave the recovery room till the doctor saw me wiggle my toes. That was the most wrenching part of the experience for me because all I wanted was to get in a hospital room, see my baby, and sleep, and I couldn't even feel my damn toes, much less wiggle them. Anyway, it was the next day before I tried to nurse, since my baby was born in the middle of the night, and breastfeeding didn't go smoothly for me. If I had it to do again, I'd put myself on a breast pump right away if I couldn't nurse.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I had an emergency c-section and it was not bad at all. The OR was cold, and I felt ill from the anesthetic after I delivered, but that was the worst of it. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days after and it was great to have some professional support with breastfeeding and such. I used very little of the pain medication and I healed nicely without any drama. I wish I had a pre-planned c-section, getting induced without success was far more uncomfortable. Also, feral's list of what to bring looks good to me. I wore lots of comfy roomy pjs.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I'm all c-sections. I wore PJ bottoms and T-shirts. You're going to want to be wearing granny panties because it might annoy you to have your underwear rub against the incision. Nursing bras, pads if you don't want to wear the real long ones. I also found hard candies to be great because my hospital had me on clear liquids at first.

Also it may seem scary leading up to the c-section but the moment they start that epidural or spinal it all goes so fast.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Both of my kids were c -section births. I thought it was fine. I was up and walking by the next day. They give you pain meds, so there is no need to suffer. You also have a good excuse for your DH to wait on you hand and foot.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2013