Do you think it's rude to call someone by a shortened version of their name?

Personally, I was always taught to call someone by the name that they introduce themselves as. If you want to call them something else, I feel it is polite to ask. How do you know that Melissa can not stand the name Missy? Or what if Cassandra detests hearing Cassie as perhaps it triggers childhood memories?

Not really sure what category to put this one.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I have known so many people with names that are commonly shortened and they dislike it. I would always go with the name the person was introduced with until further notice.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I am a Melissa and I HATE being called Missy.

I always call someone the name they introduce themselves as.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I was always taught to call someone by the name that they introduce themselves as. If you want to call them something else, I feel it is polite to ask.

Same or wait till they say they also go by another name.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I'm not sure if it's rude, but it sure as hell pisses me off when people call me Becky. I want to scream my name is Rebecca
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• im not offended when others do it to me, but i dont shorten someone else's name unless i know them or they've given me permission to do so.

one of the best shortened versions of my name a friend came up with a few years ago- tiff biff :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Kinda. If you aren't close with someone you shouldn't assume they're okay with being called a nickname. People do it to me all the time and it often bugs me.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I was always taught to call someone by the name that they introduce themselves as
    exactly

and dont get offended when you do shorten their name and they correct you
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Kind of. I think a lot of people go off of the people they know already. Say if a man was named Peter and he liked to go by that name. He meets someone new and they call him Pete because the people that person knew by the name of Peter all preferred to be called Pete. It would then be up to Peter to tell the person that he prefers to be called Peter. If they persist then Peter can then start to call them by any shortened or pet name to get his point across. JMO.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I have this problem with my youngest. I let my Mom name her. She picked Christine. People keep calling her Chris. I hate it. I named my oldest a name you can't really shorten Tonya, for a reason. I should never have let my Mom name her.

Answer by louise2 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Nope, I figure if I am good enough friends to call them my own personal nick name, the will be friends enough to tell me they hate it.
    I personally am the only one who calls certain people by a certain name and they are fine with it.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2013