My 10 year old nephew explained what a penis and vagania was and how it was used to his 6 year old female cousin. Is this a normal thing for kids to talk about?

ladybug2459

Asked by ladybug2459 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• The 6 yr old should already know what they are!!

While it's inappropriate for the 10 yr old to have this conversation with a much younger kid, yeah... it's normal. Some kids aren't mature enough to process this info and feel the need to share it. He needs to be taught who he should be having these conversations with.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• welcome to cafemom

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• as normal as talking about farts and burps
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Normal, but not necessarily advisable. Someone needs to let the ten-year-old know that conversations about private parts should be kept private, just in case he goes around talking about them to kids at school and gets himself in trouble.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• He's probably proud of himself that he learned something new, but doesn't have the social skills to know when such things should be talked about.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Boys love to talk about that kind of thing, but his parents should tell him that it is inappropriate to talk with to others. Yes I think this is normal.
    Is there something else that makes you suspect otherwise?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Isn't that how most kids who are too young find out stuff before their parents are ready to deal with those topics?! I know that's how stuff happened here. Someone's older sibling told them___ & they in turn shared this interesting new info. Normal yes. (unfortunately) And I agree the boy needs to be told not to go around advertising this new-found knowledge of his.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Yep, normal. I was once babysitting 3 kids ages 5, 4, and 18 months. In the 5 mins it took me to change the baby's diaper the 5 and 4 year snuck off to the bathroom and I caught them "comparing their bits and pieces". They are interested in that stuff at and early age. 

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 4:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I hope he didn't actually use her to show this is how its done, more like pointing and talking about it...right?
    I can not believe how young & common this subject is :/
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Unfortunately, back in the early 80's a girl explained this to me when I was 6. I was very confused.

It is an age old problem...keeping the birds and the bees away from the youngsters. It doesn't make it right, but kids do talk. Ugh!!!

AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 9:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2013