My 7 month old wont take a bottle and I have to go back to work this week what should I do? You think she will b ok for a 7 hour shift ?

I've Ben exclusively breast feeding since birth; and I've been trying to give her the bottle for the past month bow and still no luck! She is very picky when it comes to baby food! Gave her some mashed potatoes and she finally ate something with out her spitting it out ! Do you think she will be ok for a 4-7 hour shift?! What should I do, any tips?

LoveNnaya

Asked by LoveNnaya at 1:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are YOU trying to give the bottle? That's usually the problem. Babies are smart and know mom's got the good stuff; when you try to give a bottle baby thninks you're nuts!

Hand baby to caregiver. LEAVE. If baby never takes a drop it's fine. It's called reverse cycling. If she SLEPT for seven hours straight you'd think that was marvelous, and she wouldn't eat in her sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• She may take the bottle if you aren't around to give her something better. Or has she started on solids? Maybe the caregiver could feed her something besides breastmilk or formula while you are at work.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:00 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Well, today I did a test run and her baby sitter said she tried giving her the bottle and she refused it. Also tried baby food and refused that as well. She told me she started crying and wouldn't stop, then eventually she got her to sleep! She was only there four hours! But I have been trying to get her on a schedule; I'd nurse at 10am feed her solids through out day, and water. She jus gets cranky when it hits 3. I am just a nerves wreak! I feel guilty leaving her, but I have no choice! But you did make me feel better with the sleeping for eight hours straight, you mad a good point! Thank you!
    LoveNnaya

Comment by LoveNnaya (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Have you tried a sippy cup? I didn't introduce a bottle to my oldest 3 until they were around 6/7 months and they would never take it either, but they did learn to use sippy cups

Answer by missanc at 2:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Honestly... I had to go out of town when my middle son was 7 months old. I couldn't take him so I was in the same situation with having to get him on a bottle. The only thing that worked was adding sugar to the bottle of formula. Once he would take it we reduced the sugar each time until after 6 bottles he didn't need to sugar to take it. At that point I was desperate to get him to take it. I would never give a baby sugar like that, but I thought that a little sugar was better than him starving while I was gone.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Yes, she has a cup with a silicone top but she only took it once! She is teething so if I give her a bottle or a cup she just chews on it. Maybe ill try the sugar trick! She will drink out of a regular cup though; maybe if I tell the baby sitter to give her formula that way shell drink it... Ill try just about anything at this point!
    LoveNnaya

Comment by LoveNnaya (original poster) at 3:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Use the regular cup and let her play with a sippy cup with breast milk or formula in it so she can get used to it. Babies need to learn what a sippy cup is and manipulate it as much as they want. That is the only way they learn how to use it. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• OK you need to have someone else offer her the bottle. Now here comes the added trick. When they do offer the bottle wrap baby in something you've worn or slept on. Wrap her in the t-shirt you wore yesterday and didn't wash yet. Or the blanket you covered up with last night. Anything that has your body scent on it. Give her time to adjust. It's new to her too. I'd be more concerned about you surviving a seven hour shift. You are going to be sore for the first few days. Good Luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Thank you, I need all the luck I can get! Lets see how today goes at orientation!
    LoveNnaya

Comment by LoveNnaya (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Maybe try a couple different nipples.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2013