Weight issue

I was doing really great losing 5 pounds, I hardly paid attention to doing any exercise but I am eating healthy and lowering my salt intake then I thought it'd be a good idea to do some extra exercising to lose a couple more pounds while the boyfriend was in the hospital. so i did a lot of swimming and even some extra walking. I come home and I gain a pound so I figured maybe I had too much soda, now I don't think soda is my problem, I only have 1 can a day - oh well, I can do some extra walking with my dogs and I can get myself into my better habits while i'm at home. I do a little jogging yesterday morning and even walked my dogs last night again and here I gain a couple more ounces this morning!!!

never fails. too much exercising can do harm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Are you tracking your calorie intake and exercise? I used sparkpeople and found out I wasn't eating enough calories to sustain much exercise, so I upped both and the weight came off.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• For me- when I do a new excercise or more than normal- the scale always goes back up a bit for a couple days. What you need to remember is that either way- the scale will fluctuate and you should only wiegh in the morning-befroe you eat or drink anything, and NOT every day. I weigh only once or twice a week.
    As long as it ultimately is going down, then it's all good.
    my loss usually goes down- up- down -up -down down- stuck- up down...BUT I have lost 65 lbs so far total- so it all works out in the end.

also make sure you drink plenty of water- and that you are eating enough *need fuel for the work outs!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Drink tons of water instead of soda, you'll be amazed how fast the pounds come off!
    Don't get discouraged, you can do it!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• When you first start exercising, your muscles retain extra water. Give it a couple weeks, and they'll release the extra.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Drink water, not soda. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't look at "pounds' so much as inches and how your clothes fit.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Muscle weighs more than fat.
    ******

takes time to build it though, and it actually weighs the same- just takes up less space ;)

it is probably that they are holding onto water- happens to most everyone in the healthy weight loss group- they are always complaining of gaining after new or hard work outs!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Some people Overestimate the amount of calories they lose while working out. Working out makes you hungry, so you eat. If you are not tracking the calories lost during your exercise, and then not tracking your caloric intake then yes you could be gaining weight. For a whole day (a week if you can be committed) write down every single thing you eat and drink and the calories they came with and get an idea of what your caloric intake is. If you can't afford a heart rate monitor to track your true calories burned there are a lot of sites online that can give you a pretty close estimate of the calories you lose during your activities.
    Don't lose hope, you just got to keep at it! Oh and when you weigh yourself its best to do it ONCE a week, at the same time every week. I weigh only on Mondays before I eat anything and after I go to the bathroom to get the truest reading.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I think your expectations aren't very realistic...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Calories in must be less than calories burned in order to lose weight.
    Keep better records, and don't weigh everyday.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Take the long view. It's not about how much you lose today or this week, and it's never about losing or gaining ounces. I've lost thirty pounds, but it has taken almost a year. I set goals I can stick to, mainly with portion control and mild to moderate exercise, and then I don't worry when my weight bounces up and down like a dribbling basketball, because overall it's going down and that's what matters. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2013