Who is liable...me or my neighbor?

I had a friend stop by this morning to drop off some stuff. He got out of his car, in my yard, and was approching my front door. All of a sudden out of nowhere my neighbors damn dog came running up to him and bit the crap out of his leg. It was bad enough to go to the doctor.

This dog is never fenced or chained up. He runs around the entire neighborhood 24/7.this is the second time in the past month that he has bitten someone.

My friend expects the neighbor to pay her medical bill. My neighbor says it happened on my property so I should pay.

Thoughts?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Pets

• OK- I got your back on this one.

First page I opened was a gold mine of information.

Not only are you Not liable (fails to secure the dog and the dog makes an unprovoked attack on another person that occurs at a location other than the owner's real property)

your neighbor could also be criminally liable. (third degree felony)
    If you get no where with the Sheriff, contact your County Commissioners.
    Sent links in the PM

let me know if you need more help

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• His dog, his bill. He lets the dog run loose, it isn't your responsibility to keep him off of your property it is his. This is my opinion.

I would consult a lawyer just to double check.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• his dog- his bill
    and Sheriff's office is nuts- dog bite HAS to be reported
    the hospital will NEED to see shot records or start rabies shots

i would make some more calls- animal control, DNR if live way in country, whoever will take action against this dog and owner

no way are you responsible
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• i agree. he is responsible for his dog, regardless of what property the animal is on. if his dog bit someone at a dog park, he'd be responsible for that too, not the dog park.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I agree with kmath. It's HIS dog, his responsibility to keep it from biting people.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• the owner of the uncontrolled dangerous dog is responsible
    and the animal needs to be put down.
    a lot of cities have a one bite rule- have both incidents been reported to the local authorities?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Neighbor is responsible, do you have any leash law? Dog that bites anyone is owner's responsibility, what is going to happen when this dog hurts a kid?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• i agree with feral
    the Sheriff's office might just not want send someone out there
    friend HAS to have the doctor make some effort to make sure dog has had shots
    if skin broken- this would be very dangerous if dog has not had all shots
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Call your Insurance Company that you have your Homeowners Insurance under & ask. You should have called the Police though & your friend should have gone to the ER. Let us know what your Insurance Company says, I'd be interested to know.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I think your friend COULD try and sue you as well but hopefully he's not that kind of friend and yes the dog owner is still liable regardless of where it happened. It's his dog.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2013