I am looking into going back to school online for Medical Coding and was wondering if anyone is familiar with these online schools?

So far I've looked into about ten different schools and these four have stuck out to me:

~ Bryant & Stratton College
~ Kaplan University
~ Herzing University
~ National American University

Any other schools that you think I should look into? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• I'd look into your local community college(s). Many offer the billing/coding program online. I'd feel better about taking classes online from an accredited community college.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• im always wary about those "online" schools. sometimes they're not accredited and thus your credits mean squat. is there a local community college you could check into instead? the one in my area offers a lot of online courses.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• ^^This. The job market is bad for coding/billing and transcription right now. With the advent of newer software options for hospitals and private practice, many facilities are taking this stuff in house and they hire those with good experience under their belts.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I don't know anything about those schools, but definitely check out the job market for medical coding. My sister went to school for that and then couldn't get a job when she graduated, along with a dozen other people I know. Just because someone is offering a degree in something doesn't mean there's a job market for it.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• some community colleges offer online classes :) wouldn't hurt to check it out. I went to a non accredited "college" and it does nothing for the job search, so here I am, back as college. GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• In the past few years in my area, there has been a lot of job openings for it. It's not the only thing I'm going back to school for, I'm also going for psychology. I don't have time to go to a community college. I need something that I can do at home while being with my family, which is why I'm choosing online school. My husband goes to University of Phoenix but they don't offer a certificate or associate's degree in medical coding.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I will have to find out if my local community college offers online courses. Thanks for the suggestion!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2013