how was the switch from private day care to public school/kindergarden for your child

My son will start kindergarden in public school september and im a little worried what are some things you child learned the first few months and were they hard on the child

kris10npj

Asked by kris10npj at 3:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am a teacher. Right now I work in a preschool though. And I can tell you your son will be in a good learning environment.

Most preschools are good....they do the best they can. But the teachers are usually not trained teachers. Public school teachers are. I am not knocking preschool teachers most of them do well too, but public teachers have specialized training.

So dont worry. He will be just fine.

Anonymous

• his teacher is awsome ive known her for 13 years and i have worked with her just looking for some ideas i guess to make sure hes up to date like what he should know befor kind
    kris10npj

Answer by kris10npj at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughter adjusted just fine. I was the one who was stressed about it, but I didn't let her see it. I told her that it would be fun and she would love it and she does. She hasn't had one moment of worry about it and now we are halfway through the school year and I am seeing how independent she is coming. They keep the kindergarten classes small because they know that it is an adjustment for the kids. The teachers totally know what kids are going to be going through so they are extra patient. My daughters teacher wouldn't allow parents to volunteer in the class for the first 6 weeks because she said she needed time to "bond" with the kids before parents started coming in. She didn't want any children to freak out when mom or dad had to leave. I volunteer in her class every week and I even commented on how much "mature" the kids are now then when I first started. Kindergarten teachers really are special.....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My daughter is in Kindergarten now. She never went to preschool or daycare before kindergarten and she loved it! Although she is not in a public school. She goes to a Catholic Schools! She loves learning reading writing doing addition and subtraction she loves religion class . but her fav she says is p.e. good luck and I bet your son will lover kindergarten :)
    MrsArnett

Answer by MrsArnett at 12:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• thanks a bunch i really think i will be the one more stressed out lol just sad non of his frinds live in our town and no one he knows will be in class with him :( but that might be a good thing
    kris10npj

Answer by kris10npj at 9:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2009