Is the US is nation of cowards on racial matters ??

WASHINGTON – Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing awkward racial issues.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/holder_race

I would say the United States is NOT cowardly on racial matters. I would like to say to Mr. Holder, in the words of our founders, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. " Dr. Martin Luther King also used these words in his "I Have a Dream" speech. Our nation has worked hard to overcome racial prejudice and boundaries; we have been making progress. We are not perfect.

Do you think Mr. Holder is correct? Are we still a nation of "cowards?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• in a way i think we are. everyone is so worried about being politically correct and not offending anyone else. to me thats cowardly. people need to stop being so PC and enjoy a joke every once and a while!
    Anonymous

• Nope I dont think were a nation of cowards when it comes to racial matters.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yes. I think, especially as a white person, you have to be VERY careful what you say and how you say it. What I mean one way gets construed as another when it comes to race. I don't think there will EVER be honest race talks because as soon as something is said that one side doesn't like, they scream racism, and the talks over.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No, I don't think he is correct and we aren't a nation of cowards.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Believe it or not, there are still A LOT of racist people out there. They just keep their mouth shut most of the time because they don't want people to look down on them. For most of them, it's the way they were raised and they can't break that. Personally, I do have a prejudice against other races. I do not like that I do but I can't change it. I wouldn't say I am racist, just a little prejudice. It doesn't make me a bad person, it was just the way I was brought up. I still treat everyone with respect. But if a black man is walking up behind me, it might make me more nervous than a white man. I am not proud of the way I feel and I am trying not to pass it onto my children. But it's still a real issue for thousands of people.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I agree with him.
    Anonymous

• I agree with him. We have to be very politically correct now to not offend people.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well really my first though is that he has obviously never seen some of the things that get said here on Cafemom lol, but honestly I am not suree if I completely agree with him, I do to an extent but only to the point where I do think that we are so PC that we are afraid to talk about race in a real way
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yes and no.... their is still a lot of racisim out there...and people do not talk on it much....

the only thing i cant stand how its okay for another race to say whatever they please but let a white person and they are the devil....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with Attorney General Holder. We are a nation filled with a multitude of diverse people and a multitude of prejudices to go along with that diversity. It is fear (fear can also create cowards)that drives those prejudices...and keeps prejudice thriving, like a fungus in a dank, dark, deep hole. Much like the 'fungus' in that dark place, we only see it fully sometimes when a giant spotlight is shone on the 'fungus' in that dark place. Someday this nation will be free of it's racism and prejudices...but not yet. Yes we have definitely made progress, but we still have such a long way to go. Maybe, Someday....
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 3:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009