my old and a half year old is very attached to me. she will cry until i hold her even for hours

she wants me to hold her when she is asleep which causes my arm and back to hurt. i need help

ms.hubb29

Asked by ms.hubb29 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well it's normal at the age to develop the attachment. Are you guys going through any big life changes that might make she feel a bit more insecure than usual? Either way make sure you have a good routine, and talk to her. She might not be able to talk back but she can understand you.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 4:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Was she recently sick or injured?
    Is this a new thing?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• It's time to gently but firmly tell her no, especially at bedtime. Reassure her you love her and won't be far away.

She may cry as she adjusts, but she'll get used to it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• baby steps. and give her things to do near you, IE look thru moms purse and find my phone. can you bring your water cup to the sink, bring me a kleenex, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• my middle one was the same way and i just ended up holding her. she was not a light child either, and i also had two other children to care for. it was the only way any of us could sleep. i figure they only want to be held for so long and then they grow out of it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• thank you all for the advice she isnt sick. she is my third child. i hold her because if i dont she will cry. i have to cook and clean with her in my hands. i have tried everything even letting her cry for a while before i pick her up but she is weighing my body and since im all she want she cries when anyone else tries to help
    ms.hubb29

Comment by ms.hubb29 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2013