I need a recipe for a salad that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

There are so many, but I'm looking for one that you've tried and love. I'm attending a birthday party this weekend( kids ages 6 to 10) and I'd like to bring a dish of some kind. The temp outside will be 105-108.

Any other ideas other than salads are welcomes too. :)

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• 108? omfg .....

in all honesty I'd want to find the biggest watermelon possible and make a boat outta it for a gorgeous fruit salad. it's too damn hot for pasta or potatoes
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Lol! Yup, and it's not even August yet. Sigh.

I was also thinking about fruit kabobs. I made them for my dd's bday and the kids loved them.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• good plan. refreshing, easy to eat, etc. my mom often surprises my kids w/ FANCY jello cubes on hot days. she'll use sprite, orange soda, cranberry juice, all sorts of things to add mega flavor and awesomeness. Or depending on the amount of kids (if its not a HUGE party) hit the dollar store for mason jars and do a shake your own ice cream.

I bought half and half little containers and we do this at hotels, all u need is ice.
    http://www.stylemepretty.com/living/2010/06/14/diy-ice-cream-in-a-jar-by-city-cradle-design/
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Really there isn't anything to make that would be safe to sit outside in that heat, I make a salad with italian dressing, mozerella, basil and tomatos, that wouldn't need to go in the fridge, but I would still most likely sit it on top of ice, just to keep it from wilting, here it is-
    Good season's italian dressing with package directions, I use red raspberry vinegar instead of white, get several types of cherry tomatos, yellow and red cut in half, chop up about 1/4 cup fresh basil, and then add 2 fresh balls of mozerella cheese cut into 1/4 inch cubes, salt and pepper to taste. I would mix the dressing in about an hour before you want to serve it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I was just going to suggest fruit kabobs. They're kid friendly and good on hot days. If not that, then I'd probably just make PBJ sandwich triangles or brownies or something that can stand the heat well. Have fun.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Well, whatever you decide, make sure to stick some wash cloths in a cooler of ice water to put on the party-goers necks to cool down. That's just oppressive. GL & try to have fun :) (BTW- I like the fruit kabob idea)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Potato Salad like this:
    Potatoes cooked & cut up, add a can of peas or frozen cooked peas & sliced red onion. Drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper & mix.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• It is going to be miserably hot. I not looking forward to it! The things we do for our kids. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• No salad ideas, but if you have 2 bowls that nest with room in between, you can put water in the bigger bowl, nest the am as Eller one inside and weighed down so the water spreads, and freeze that, then put food in when it's time to go. It'll keep cold for at least a couple hours, depending on the thickness of the ice.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Marinated Veggies Salad

15 oz. can young peas, drained*
    15 oz. can shoepeg corn, drained*
    15 oz. can french style green beans, drained*
    2 oz. jar pimientos
    1 c. chopped celery
    1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    3/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. white vinegar
    1/2 c. canola oil
    salt and pepper
    Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile combine all veggies. Pour dressing over veggies. Chill for 24 hours before serving. This does well without the refrigeration.
    *May sub frozen or fresh if preferred.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2013