Resume question

1) How do I handle a termination on my work history. I was there for 12 years before I was let go for making a stupid mistake? Trust me I learned from it.

2)How do I handle professional references if I have not spoken to anyone I used to work for in over 2 years?

3)Where are the bet place to apply if my only availability is weekday morning/early afternoons?

I have a job currently and have had it for a year. It is not a good fit for me... I need a new one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• The best way to handle a termination is don't address it in the resume. Leave the whole "reason for leaving" part totally off the resume. Those are best answered in person if asked. Then be honest but phrase it in a way that is concise and shows maturity. And offer to give reference that can attest to your better judgment. People who have seen you grow through your mistake. Use personal references who are professionals if needed. Such as teachers,ministers, etc.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• 1- I would still list it on your resume. If you get an interview and they ask you about why you left that job (or if there was a gap between that job and the next), be honest but emphasis how you turned a mistake into a learning opportunity.

2- Try to use current professional references if possible. 

3. UPS, schools (as a cafeteria worker/monitor, substitute teacher, parapro), local restaurants that serve lunch, etc. This will really depend on your education and past experiences. If you post what you have as far as education and experience, I could possible offer more ideas based on that.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• the first two- I have no idea
    the hours one- house cleaning maybe?

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I've never listed my reasons for leaving employment on my resume - if asked, I put it on the application, but mostly I would rather address it in person (or at least on the phone) in an interview. I would leave reasons for leaving all the jobs off. You can explain it in the interview.

Do you have any other professional references you can use, other than ones from more than 2 years ago? If so, use them. If not, do you have written reference letters from those people? I have 2 written references that I got from previous employers specifically for that purpose. In the rare situation that I needed a reference but couldn't use anyone else, I attached the letters and a note explaining that we'd lost touch. Never caused an issue for me.

Hours - maybe stocking a grocery store? cafeteria work at a school, housecleaning, maybe delivering newspapers? That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• You don't need to make note of the termination - just the beginning and ending date of your employment.

Call those who you would like to use as a reference and ask if you can continue to use them, let them know you are looking. If you interview, call or message them that they may be contacted.

Look for positions with the school districts - secretary, bus driver, etc.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2013