My Uncle, the Jerk!

So I have this uncle, he's my dad's best friend, and my mother is this guy's sister. He's been in and out of rehab, and AA. He would terrorize me as a child, and I was NOT allowed to leave his house until I was sobbing hysterically.

He'll get sober for a couple of years, then fall off the wagon and turn into an ass again. His current wife left him a few months ago and moved back to the Philippines because he's started drinking again.

For at least a month now, he's been trying to talk my dad into bringing my son to the racetrack with them. The ONLY reason I can think of for this is that my son has some crazy good math skills. My uncle doesn't want to give him an "experience" he just wants to exploit my child. The ONLY person my uncle has brought this up with is my dad.

Thankfully, my dad had enough sense to run it by me first. He also had enough sense to realize that my Uncle's plans for my son were NOT on the up and up.

UGH. Why does family have to be so degenerate sometimes?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 7:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Relationships

•  Buy this for your uncle & then whack him over the head with it if he ever tries to take your son anywhere!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• That's too good for him. If I ever see him before he's clean and sober for AT LEAST a year, I want to repeatedly kick him in the balls for all the mental shit he put me through. I think a snowball has a better chance of surviving in Hell that he does of getting his hands on either of my kids. And I'm not talking about Hell, MI.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Well, just be glad you dad had sense enough not to let that happen & to alert you of his drunken, drug-induced plan. Not that this will help you feel better, but trust me, every family has at least 1 loser like that. :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• There is always one bum uncle!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Yeah, I'm glad my dad is finally seeing some sense in the shitty job he did raising me. He ALLOWED this particular uncle to treat me like shit when I was my son's age. Not only did he not stop it, he laughed at what my uncle said/did to me.

I've also made it perfectly clear that if either of my children are taken to see this uncle, that will be the last time he sees his grandkids. I wen through HELL with him as a parent. I will NOT/ CAN not allow that to continue with my kids. They deserve better, and I do all I can to ensure they get better.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Like I always say--family, the other F word!

I'm glad your dad had enough sense to ask you first and I hope you told him not only no, but fucking hell no.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Why yes, yes I did Ballad. My dad had already been leaning towards taking my son to bet on horse racing was a bad idea. I just made it abundantly clear that I did NOT approve of that asinine idea of my uncle's.

Now, if he was one of those fun uncles that is always involved in the niece's and nephew's lives, and was a trustworthy guy, I'd consider letting him go. But this guy is none of that, and only wants to exploit my son.

Yeah, I'm a LOT bothered by this. Not really angry though. Just clearly drawing my line in the sand so there is NO confusion and/or misunderstandings.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2013