Does this sound like a specific religion?

I highly doubt the existence of a creator deity, at least not one who has any involvement in our lives now. However, I feel as though we may have souls and that there may be an afterlife (reincarnation, maybe?). I'd like to be involved in a spiritual community of some sort, but the only UU church that is accessible to me is a snoozefest. Might my beliefs fit in with any other Lind of spiritual community?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never been to a UU church that's a snoozefest, and I've been a UU for 15 years. The thing about us is that we don't believe or force any dogmas or creeds. Seek your truth in love and help one another.

If you don't have another UU church close by then consider www.clfuu.org. It's an online UU church. Rev. Meg is awesome.

Also, have you recently started attending your UU church this summer?. 99.9 percent are layled during the summer and are not typical sermons. We take the summer off. If this is the case then visit again after school is back in session.

I wish you all the best in seeing your truth.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Maybe deism but that isn't really an organized religion at all
    HappyMama.x3

Answer by HappyMama.x3 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Gwen - I've given this church 4 or 5 chances, at different times of the year, and with 3 different ministers (plus a lay led service). I keep on hoping I'll learn to like it, but I really cannot stand it. I've been to a couple other UU churches that I loved. I wish either of them were close enough to go to now. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• What is it that you can't stand? To me as an early UU it felt like I was in a college classroom and didn't comprehend most of it.

Check out the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Rochester, NY. Go to the sermon library and listen to the podcast sermons of Scott Tayler. He is the best minister and speaker I've ever known. He is far from a snooze. Lol. He makes me think. Sadly he left the ministry to work for the UUA recently.

In addition, the Episcopalian church echoed many of my beliefs too. Please feel free to pm me.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Thanks MamaK. My first result was UU. Now if I could just get to a decent UU church!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Now if I could just get to a decent UU church!

The one dilemma with UU fellowships is they are shaped to the congregation they have attending. Great if you have a huge variety of people or are likeminded to the ones who are there, not so much if you don't. There's always the option of online services. Not quite the same, but they still have a community and activities in person, just not as often.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• sounds like Deism to me, but we dont have a church or any real organization outside of a few websites w/ forums. the few Deists i know go to UU churches, but i didnt like the one we have here either. some really odd types at our UU church and it had nothing to do with their religious beliefs haha. id try some online UU services...some of the bigger churches are nicer, or so ive heard.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Well, that's different. Retook the quiz and this time it came up UU ... usually comes up Reform Judaism or Neo-Pagan.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

I still get neo-pagan and UU, which is ironic since neither of them is really applicable, they're just the closest options on a generally bad list.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2013