Here's how to upload a profile picture (avatar):
1. Click on "My Other Stuff" at the top of the page in gray.
2. Click on "My Account Settings".
3. Scroll down to your Avatar picture and click edit.
4. On the next page, click the "Browse..." button and select photo you want to upload. The photo should be saved somewhere on your computer.
5. Once you've selected the photo you want, click the "Preview Photo" button. The new and old photos will appear at the bottom of the page.
6. If you're happy with your photo, click on the "Save Changes" button.
Note: Profile pictures are also called avatars.
You cannot change the background here in answers. I THINK you can still change the color scheme and layout of your profile, but I don't do much with that so I'm not sure.
at 9:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2013