It's 10 pm and someone is knocking on your front door. What do you do?

My dd and I were sitting on our computers and I was just about to go to bed when I heard a knock on the front door. I turn on the outside light and look out the peep hole. It was my dd's friend.

She comes in and is just balling hysterically. I thought something happened to her mom or something horrible happened (I'm thinking someone died). Nope. She had a verbal fight with her mother. Something incredibly stupid. I can understand being upset about it, but not THAT upset and not running over to a friend's house at this time of night, balling hysterically about it.

Oh, and now they are sitting on the couch talking and giggling like teenagers do.

Can we say drama queen?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 11:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow! Did you call her mom to let her know where her child was? I had a friend's step kid show up on my doorstep at the butt crack of dawn one morning. She said her mom kicked her out and that she missed the school bus and her bag was still at her mom's house. This girl is a major drama queen. I made her call her mom to come get her. UGH! It was over the stupidest thing and her mom had just told her to go to the bus stop and quit crying about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Don't answer. I've seen The Strangers one too many times to know better :)
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• How far away does she live? How old is she?

Yeah, this time of night and leaving over a stupid fight, a week sounds about right.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• First, I would never have even went to the door to see who it was at 10pm at night. Personally.
    In your situation. As soon as the girl told me it was just a simple verbal fight. I would have sent her back home. I would have drove her sense it was dark.

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• If I am home alone as usual that time of night. Sit on the couch really still and hope they go away. lol. It has never happened... thank God.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Honestly? I'd probably ignore it because I'd either be IN bed already or heading that way.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• If I'm here alone or with just my daughter and not expecting anyone, I probably wouldn't open the door at all. If I did open it, I'd put the chain lock on so the door would only open a few inches. My dog is a big teddy bear, but she has a pretty deep "I mean business" bark, so that helps some. Nobody would know she'd rather lick you to death than bite any day of the week.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• " butt crack of dawn one morning.."Kmath

Butt crack of dawn? Really? LOL

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• Look out of the peephole and then ignore it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• ugg...i wouldnt have answered. these kinda instances are what PHONES are for...i would have totally understood if she called your DD hysterical, but to show up at 10?! and im usually up till 2am so its not even about it being near bed time. its just childish and rude to expect others to cater to your whims. she may be school smart but she aint very bright.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2013