How do I get my four old to behave when in public?

Everytime we r in public my daughter likes to show her butt. So if I pull her over to me she screams and it embarasses me. I need help please.

Mommy990109

Asked by Mommy990109 at 8:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First, I'd quit taking her in public. Leave her home with dad or a sitter or whatever and explain that until she can learn to behave in public she cannot go places with you.

Also, your embarrassment isn't really important here. It's your job as a parent to establish and enforce boundaries.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• You have to work on getting her to behave all the time, not just in public. Kids can't censor themselves as well. You have to set FIRM boundaries that you follow through on. Reward the good behavior and don't reinforce the bad behavior. If she acts up, take her home. She will soon learn that acting up means she never gets to go anywhere fun. Keep her away from bad influences like other bad kids. Be broken record with your requests. Don't let her wear you down. When she acts up, make her wish she didn't. Eat something she likes lik ice cream or sweets but don't let her have any and tell her why she can't have any. Don't be too extreme with this. The point is to connect rewards with good behavior. Look up old episodes of Super Nanny to get some tips.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• You have to teach appropriate behavior.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• my kids are great when i take them somewhere one on one. if i have all of three of them together and we're at a 'boring' place like the grocery store they go freaking crazy. because of this i only take one or two when i have an errand to run. i wont take them anywhere together until they can learn to behave properly in public.

funny though because when we go to the arcade, mini golfing, etc they are angels!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Make them behave in private. Then behaving in public should be little problem
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Have you talked to her about stranger danger yet? If not then I would ASAP & incorporate that into a how to behave in public talk.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Her behavior is attention seeking. You need to ignore it. Pull her over to you and let her scream. Ignore that too. Then remove her as soon as you can. If she throws a full blown tantrum ignore it, but stay close and guide traffic around her. Guide her back to the car. To lessen the behavior give her attention when she does something appropriate. For example if she is drawing a picture compliment her color choices or subject. If you put her attention needs on a 1-10 scale and she requires a 6 or something she is going to fill that need one way or the other. You have to make sure she gets the attention only when she displays good/proper behavior. until it is learned though you may be abandoning a half full shopping cart to take her home. Don't forget to remind her exposing herself is inappropriate. Show her that nobody else her age is doing it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• When mine were small, I would "set the bar". I'd tell them what was expected of them (that they would keep a hand on the cart/hold hands/not touch things on the shelves/etc.) and what would happen if they did not behave as I expected (we would leave immediately and there would be no more outings/shopping/trips for them for X time). Then I would ask them if they understood and if they agreed - and waited until they said "yes". Then, and only then, would we go out/into the shop/wherever.

Tell them what you expect, what the consequences will be and make them responsible for their behaviour. It works, trust me, it works.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Where did she learn to show her butt? I assume that she gets a rise out of you, so everytime she does it remove her from the store, when you leave the house, say this we are going to Wal-,mart, and Mom wants to buy you a small prize and shop for some things, if you misbehave there will be no prize, and we will leave, then you will not get to watch Dora today if Mommy can't get her shopping done.
    You don't have to buy her something everytime, but having something to look forward to the first few times might keep her in check. She is going to school soon, so you might need to get this nipped in the bud now.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Actions/Consequences/Follow Through
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2013