Dollar store Latex balloons

My daughter's birthday is coming up soon. Last week of August. I am planning to buy pretty much all the party decorations and stuff from the dollar store. A few months ago I even bought 2-3 foil balloons for my son (no special occasion, he just likes playing with them). They lasted for a week! Never used dollar store's latex balloons. Was thinking about buying a couple of packets and getting them helium-filled. Will they last the afternoon-evening? or are those cheap kinds who pop right away? Weather will be around in 80's at that time (we live in VA) and the birthday will be in our backyard. Have you guys ever purchased latex balloons from dollar store or dollar tree? i know they are cheap but still do they survive one day or burst/pop quickly? the foil ones turned out to be great though. but each is for a $1 ofcourse so I can't buy a whole bunch of them

Sun.shine

Asked by Sun.shine at 4:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2013 in Entertainment

• to fill them with helium on your own will cost you as much as doing it yourself, go to the party store and have them filll them ours charges a buck per balloon.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• We've used dollar store latex balloons just blown up by me, not filled with helium, and they were fine. Any latex balloon filled with helium will only last a day so don't blow them up too far in advance.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Have you called Party Stores for prices on balloons? By me (NY) you can get them for $8.99 a dozen already filled with ribbon. The Mylar are about $2.50 each here. Prices by you may be a lot less.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• What my local party store said was that the pearlized ones generally last two days, the regular latex ones last only one. If you want a whole lot of balloons, you can get one of those helium balloon kits that come with a bunch of balloons and blow them up the morning of the party. I think they do 50 balloons.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I just want them for one evening. I don't mind if they lose their helium by next morning. I'm more worried about them bursting. Because I'll be having alot of small kids at my party and I don't want to scare them
    Sun.shine

Comment by Sun.shine (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Honestly, if there will be a lot of small kids at the party, I'd skip the latex balloons altogether, whether they're from the dollar store or not. I let my daughter haveballoons now that she's old enough not to put everything in her mouth, but I read a disturbing news story once about how a kid died from swallowing a tiny piece from a latex balloon and getting it lodged to where it covered the entrance to his windpipe and he couldn't breathe. I don't know how common those incidents are, since balloons are still on the market and widely used, but the devastated parents in the story said nothing could have been done because there was no way to extract that piece of latex before their kid suffocated.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2013