Any middle aged, obese, arthritic runners out there?

I'm a 45yo, 250lb woman with arthritic hips and knees. I haven't run in over 30 years, and I wonder if I'm being unrealistic in thinking that I ever can again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• isnt running bad for arthritis because of the stress it puts on joints?
    maybe long distance swimming? if youre intent on pushing yourself to extremes?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Start by walking. Short distances at a speed you're comfortable with. A year ago next month I weighed 216 lbs and I had a lot of joint pain.

I started walking. One block for the first week. Then two, then a half mile then, finally, 4 miles a day. I've lost close to 70 lbs and I finished my first 5K last month.

So, yes. You can do it again. I'll be 52 next month
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• "isnt running bad for arthritis because of the stress it puts on joints"

She may find that her joint pain decreases significantly (or even disappears) once she gets that additional weight off. Not guaranteed, of course, but that's what happened with me
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I definitely wouldn't start out trying to run, I'd start with walking. But if you start with walking, I would think you could work up to running again.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Thanks everyone. I've actually already been walking for several months, and lost 35 pounds so far.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy, WTG! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Brisk walking or lap swimming might work better than running, at least in the beginning. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I'm not obese, but I'm 38 and was diagnosed with Rheumatiod Arthritis when I was 5. I am a long distance runner and have no issues at all. Try the couch to 5K program. It will start you on a walking/running program and will get you back to where you were all those years ago. It is a fantastic program as you can repeat weeks if you need to do so.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:40 AM on Jul. 30, 2013