• In the Spotlight:

Just for you But_Mommie- Why do I have to buy dry erase markers. My child won't use them, it's just for the teacher's use!

I hear this one a lot. Last year, when I made my yearly trip to Wal-Mart the mom in front of me was complaining about this. I explained to her that the students use them with their personal dry erase boards to do math problems, spelling, etc. She gave me an evil eye. LOL!

So, what complaint do you hear the most about school supplies? Do you have a complaint?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't have any complaints, but I think the one I've heard the most of is why are so many glue sticks required.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Communal supplies, period. I shouldn't have to send special email reminding the teacher my son has left handed scissors and can't use any random pair out of the box.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I know my kids keep theirs in their pencil boxes and use them when the teachers pass out the wipe boards
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• LMAO!! Awe... it is now officially back to school time...

My complaint is our list are long and this year I have to buy for two. So that sucks.

Oh! and while I understand shared supplies.... I hate that I can't buy cool pencils and folders for my kids. That used to be the best part of back to school shopping when I was little. I was all Lisa Frank kittens and horses. lol. But they are stuck with 'black and white marble comp books and standard yellow number 2's. ... oh well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I had to buy markers AND a dry erase board, so I assume he will actually use his markers.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• The lists are way too long and the teachers get so picky (yellow college ruled notebook with tear out, yellow pocket folder with tabs, 5 glue sticks, 2 pink erasers, etc). I have 3 to buy for.

I absolutely refuse to purchase the community supplies. I can't afford to be buying for the neighborhood. I buy what my kids need, label it, and if they need more, I have some at home. That's the way I've always done it.

I have 2 in high school this year. I'm hoping we can use most of the left over stuff from last year and really hoping I will mostly just have to buy notebooks and folders. Fingers crossed that the bill is less than a hundred.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• we are not allowed to label our supplies, I figure as long as my child is getting an education and I am not having to replace supplies all the time its fine. The teachers know which kids in our classes need left handed scissors etc and make sure special type things are readily available.
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 9:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I got annoyed when I saw the school supply list because it said not to label *any* of the things you buy, since they'll be shared by the class. I don't mind pitching in a little, but I want to buy supplies for my daughter. And why do I have to buy two reams of copy paper, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and gallon-sized freezer bags?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Believe it or not Kleenex and hand sanitizer
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• No complaints here; we don't get a list.

I've seen some of the lists posted online & I wondered about the packs of dry erase markers (specified number of packs, certain brand only.) I assume it's a reliable brand (I just got a dry erase board for home & I should make a note of the "teacher fave" brand and buy those; they're probably good dry erase markers! lol) but I also just assumed it would be for the teacher to use. I didn't know kids used personal dry erase boards. (They don't at my daughter's school.) But that makes a lot more sense, considering that it would add up to a LOT of boxes & I can see how it could be frustrating to feel like you were buying supplies that weren't even for kids' communal use.

The school provides everything for the kids at our school, so we never have had to shop for school supplies.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2013