Oh I forgot! I have a for real back to school complaint!!

My kids will be attending new schools this year since we moved. I was flipping through the parents/student handbook online and found out that the schools have optional but highly recommended uniforms. This is the first I have heard of this. Even at kinder registration it was never mentioned. I am a bit peeved because we don't typically do back to school clothes shopping. I just buy what they need when they need it and right now they need nothing. So I have zreo dollar budgeted for optional uniforms. The good news is they are optional and I am crossing my fingers that at least 1/2 of the school doesn't wear them because... it will just be a while before I can collect all the pieces for them to wear one every day.

Ok complaint over.

Question: Would this irk you just a little. Not ever being told about the uniforms I mean. Even though you had already been in the schools to register the kids.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't think it would irk me, but I would wonder why it wasn't mentioned before. I would let them wear their normal clothes until either the season changed and they needed new clothes or until they grew out of the things they are wearing now.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I would be irked as well, BUT if you are so lucky as to live near an Old Navy I got my sons uniform 5 tops, and 3 pants for $50 and then shoes at Target for $30.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• Walmart online has bundle sets of cheap uniforms.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I'm sure they didn't mention it because they don't want anyone to feel its something they must do. However, I think uniforms shouldn't be optional, either you have them or you don't.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• I love the idea of uniforms. DD wore them last year in private pre-k but she has outgrown them and these are different colors. I will get them eventually if most kids wear them. I don't want mine to be the odd kids out in either direction. They may start the year wearing it one or two days a week.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• that's odd...OPTIONAL uniforms?
    if it were me- i would opt OUT!
    I hated the whole uniform thing when my kids went to schools that required them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• It's possible that they only encourage the older grades to wear uniforms and it is completely optional for younger grades. Or maybe they don't wear uniforms for the first month or so and when school starts, they will give more information about when to wear uniforms. I agree that I would be irked too because I am a planner and would like to know what I need before hand and not at the last minute.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• yeah, my 6 year old's school is confusing with the uniforms. up until the year she started last year, uniforms were "optional" then, as soon as she started kindergarten, that year they decided that uniforms are "mandatory". so naturally i went out and bought her some uniforms at walmart before she started. then about halfway through the year, half of the kids were wearing regular clothes. i still continued to send her in her uniform though because i paid money for them. apparently the mandatory policy was still in effect but the principal was leaving and "didn't care" to enforce it. so supposedly the policy is still mandatory for the upcoming year. when the policy was optional, only about half of the students wore uniforms.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• oh and i was TOTALLY anti uniform when i found out last year she would have to wear them. i was excited because i thought the policy was still optional and i was totally going to opt out and buy her a shitload of new cute clothes.

however, uniforms aren't simply just a white shirt and navy pants anymore (atleast not at her school) now they have pink, purple, red, etc shirts for girls and all colors for boys too, they have different color skirts, jumpers, dresses, shorts of different styles. so i no longer have an issue with uniforms. it is totally easy for her to wake up and pick either a skirt/shirt or dress and be done with it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2013

• well since it is the parents responsibility to read the student handbook and learn the dress code, I would not be irked that no one told me. I don't expect the school staff to tell each parent what their child is supposed to wear.

I also think that if it is highly recommended, that most students will be wearing them. It is cheaper than buying a whole wardrobe for kids. So go buy 2 shirts and one pair of shorts for now and add to it as you can.
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 9:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2013