Anyone ever hear their name being called?

One time when I was 15 years old, I was siting in the computer room at night, and all of sudden I hear my name, twice! It was a mans voice. Gentle, calm whispers. I looked around, no one was there, everyone was asleep!!! I ran, and broke down crying. Till this day I think about it. Has that ever happened to anyone? And no I was NOT asleep, or sleepy. I was wide awake on the computer. It called my name, I ignored it, then the second time sounded closer to my left ear...

Other things.
This happened to me twice , but this time I was sleeping , so it could be a dream, I don't know? The first time I heard my mom calling my name, I jumped up and said what. She never called me. Same thing this morning. I heard y husband say my name, I jumped out of my sleep looking around, and he was looking at me like I'm crazy.

Any want to share their stories?
What is this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• No shit about an hour ago I heard "help me" in my right ear. I was laying here in bed playing solitaire on my phone, like I do every night. Needless to say I'm still awake.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Oh my gosh ! That is scary!!
    I'm googling some stuff right now about the whole name calling .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Yes I have a few times. So has my mother. It scared her more than it did me. My husbands grandfather died right before Easter this year and we were staying at his sisters because we knew it was going to happen soon. I was sleeping in the basement with the kids and my husband came down to see if I wanted him to take the baby for me when she was fussy. So later when I heard "Hey" I thought it was him again because I had just nursed her back to sleep. Nobody was there. I don't know what time that was but at 5am my husband came down to tell me that his grandfather had passed.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 5:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• recently
    sound asleep (but not that sound because i co sleep and the kid moves i wake up)
    SWEAR to GAWD I heard SO say my name in an urgent wake up now voice
    he'd already been at work for an hour

popped out of bed and got him on the phone to make sure he was ok
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• This has happened to me numerous times. Always when I'm going to sleep. Not sure what it is but I suspect it's some sort of auditory echo that has something to do with falling into or coming out of REM sleep
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Yeah, happens to me right as I'm falling asleep. I agree with Mrs_Prissy, probably something to do with falling into REM. Wakes me the hell up though!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I have had that happen a few times. But as for my son it happens for him a lot more. I remember when we were living in my sister's house when they moved to Maine. My son would tell me that all of a sudden he would hear his name being called and he said it was my voice. I would either be in another room or up stairs at the time it happened. But then again, he has said it's happened at other homes we've lived in as well.

I had more of an experience of my hair being moved once. I was standing in the kitchen up against the counter. And even though the ceiling fan was on, my hair wasn't moving very much. All of a sudden my pony tail swooshed and I turned around to see who was there. No one was because it was just me and my son who was about 1-2 at the time. This happened not too long after my dad had passed away. So I kinda feel like he was letting me know he was still watching over me.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I've heard someone calling my name before, and gone to see who it was and what I was wanted for. My grandma used to tell me when that happened that it was my guardian angel, letting me know he was looking out for me. It seemed as good of an explanation as any, and she truly believed it, so I took her word for it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Scary experiences ladies !
    Ballad--I really hope that was a guardian angel that night .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• O.M.G. I have had something similiar happen to me, I seriously thought I was losing it, until my friend reassured he had heard it too....was absolutely nuts and freaky!! I had been fixing an egg sandwich for myself and him and mind u we were the only in the house, no t.v. no radio or any other distraction, we began eating and we "both" hear a faint child-like voice say, (clear as heck) " I want a egg sandwich", still to this day no explanation!!
    B.Conley75

Answer by B.Conley75 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2013