Stripped membranes

Yesterday around 11 am My midwife told me i was 2/3 cm dialted and 60% effaced so she decided to tweek me a little up there.

Im 37 weeks.
with a huge baby.

how will I know if this procedure will work? I was wicked crampy as she try to strip my membranes but i didnt have any spotting or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I guess you'll no when an if you go into labor in the next 48 hrs? Lol sorry not much help I never had this procedure done
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• yeah, if you go into labor soon then it worked. i only had it done in one of my pregnancies and it was unsuccessful

im a little surprised she did it at 37 weeks.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• With my first, I went into productive labor within a few hours. With my second, nothing happened. I didn't have it done with my third. I'll be honest, I think membrane stripping is done mainly so mom feels like something constructive is being done by her medical provider and it's a fairly benign procedure. In other words, I think that with my first I was probably already about to go into labor naturally.

If your body isn't ready to go into labor (and at 37 weeks I suspect it is not time yet) you're not going to see much in the way of active labor
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• With my first son nothing happened and my midwife stripped mine 3 different times. With my second son she stripped my membranes then I went home and immediately had sex and out he came. I had contractions all evening but didn't realize it, went in at 9pm water broke at 10pm he came out at 1145pm
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Time will tell. My doctor stripped my membranes at the end of my pregnancy even though I had asked her not to. Nothing happened. She was trying to put me in labor so I would have my baby before she went on vacation, which I was adamantly against. Thankfully, the procedure didn't work, and I delivered while she was on vacation and had a really awesome doctor who did an urgent C-section.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2013