Paragard IUD removal

Okay so for medical reasons I have to have my Paragard removed after 5 years with it. It is beleived to be causing my severe anemia due to EXTREMELY heavy periods. Any way I was wondering if anyone had any experience they wanted to share about how the removal went?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in Health

• The removal was so easy. A little bit of the cramping feeling similar to when it went in, but nowhere near as much. It was really very quick and easy.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I've had a couple of Mirenas removed, and the removal is generally far less "traumatic" than insertion. It's much easier to perform, because they basically just have to put in the forceps and pull the string until it comes out, which is generally very simple.
    You might consider the Mirena, because it can make your periods lighter, or even cease them. I have iron-deficiency anemia related to really heavy periods (like I used to miss school because they were so heavy, changing a pad every 20 minutes, etc), and the Mirena has been awesome. I still have to supplement my iron, but I don't have periods anymore, and even when I still did, they were REALLY light by comparison.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• After 5 years is it safe to assume you do not want any more children?
    You might want to ask about an endometrial ablation.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• My doctor gave me two options have the IUD removed or take Lysteda during my cycle
    since i am otherwise happy with the device the Lysteda has been a GodSend
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• It definitely hurt less having it taken out than being put in. I had the copper tip for a year.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2013