Best time to buy school supplies, where and when for best deals?

Hello,

Am wondering when is best time to get school supplies shopping done.
When? and what store is best at?

Everytime i get my kids shopping done for the past 3 years, i have not have had much luck. I am either going to early = supplies are too expensive. Too late = supplies are out of stock, end up doing trips to more than 1 store.

This year, I have to do shopping for my 3 kids. My youngest is going to kindergarten, 2 oldest are going to 3rd grade. We got their backpacks set, just not supplies since so far Target seems to still have expensive supplies.

any tips? :-)

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• walmart... like now
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Does your state have a back to school tax free weekend? There's a number of states that do. If your state does that's when I'd go and I'd go to wal-Mart.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Check the Sunday paper's sale ads, or store websites on that day.. Most stores start their weekly sales on Sunday, so they'll be stocked if you shop Sunday morning and stick to what's on sale that week. It may take a few Sundays in a row, but you should be able to get what you need for super cheap.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Black Friday is considered the best time to buy supplies. Since I would rather spend more and not have the crowds. I go earlier about a week before. I simply start watching the ads. Right now, this will be on sale and next week that. I also pick up way more than I need. I will buy 10 or 12 packs of pencils for a quarter each and set them aside. Same with folders and other common supplies. I have them to replace as needed at a lower cost and usually have some to help with the new year.
    DH and I will also but the pencils and crayons and pens at next to nothing and have them for Christmas and for giving to our group that helps with school supplies. at the shelter.
    If you run into something that says to but this and get a free ruler or something, pick it up even if you don't need it and donate it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Staples and Office Max, get the circulars, comparison price every item on their lists between the two, you can get the majority of them for under $10 total. Save Walmart for a last resort.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Now any store.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• The sales have already started around here. I just picked up some spiral notebooks for 17 cents each at Meijer today. I really don't need a whole lot, b/c I stocked up so well last year. Get the Sunday ads in a newspaper or online this weekend & start looking & comparing prices.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I got our sons from Walmart last week.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Menards has an awesome sale right now too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2013