Child support and daycare costs

if you're divorced, or not with the father of your kid(s), and there IS an order for child support...

how does it work with daycare costs, assuming that the children live with you during the week, and you work full time?

conversation with my mom got me thinking...why should the cost of daycare so the mother can go to work fall solely on the mother? shouldn't he contribute half of the daycare tuition? especially if the mother's income is so low that atleast 75% of her paycheck goes to daycare?

of course, she doesn't *HAVE* to work... she could sit at home, collect welfare and try to get more in child support, right?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in Money & Work

• My ex was ordered to pay child support and my daughter's tuition. In addition, he was ordered to pay 1/2 of my childcare costs. Not that he ever did, but it was in the order and I'm now going back to pursue. That 10k would come in handy!

Answer by missanc at 4:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• You can have it written into the CO that he is responsible for half of the daycare costs. DS's dad payed for half of preschool when he was in private school. Now he pays for half of his school supplies and if I couldn't watch DS after school then he would pay for half the after school costs.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• That is part of what his childcare goes for
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• We were ordered to split it. Every time he didn't pay his half, it was added to his arrears on child support.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Absolutely he should help with daycare payments. Contact your attorney and ask him to modify your childcare agreement. Unfortunately I do not believe it would be garnished from his paycheck like the child support is but there will be consequences put in place if he does not pay.
    angie1018

Answer by angie1018 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• When I worked daycare-
    The mom paid everything and was reimbursed by Dad
    or
    if the center was willing to work with mom
    Mom got a portion of the bill and Dad got a portion of the bill. Dads got sent collections left and right.

But yeah- Dad pays for childcare on top of support in addition to medical coverage and things like sports fees

One more thing- if 75% of your paycheck is going to childcare you may want to look into childcare assistance.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• they figured in the cost of daycare for us and he got ordered to pay that amount plus child support of course he is thousands behind and daycare holds me responsible so I still pay it.
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 5:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• My friend just got divorced, she is a teacher, so during the school year her and her husband split the daycare cost, she got this instead of alimony. He pays his child support the same, but they take turns paying the daycare.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• okay i was just wondering. i am not working currently but my husband's lawyer put in his final judgment proposal that they should base what my husband has to pay monthly on what i made at my last job- $9/hr because im physically able to work- therefore according to his proposal he should only have to pay $185 a month for two kids. which is asinine because my oldest's dad has to pay $384 a month for one child (though he hasn't paid in years) i explained to the judge that im going to school this fall and my parents are helping me out with the bills in the meantime. i was just wondering what would happen if i gave up on school and went and found a job, with the little college education i have i wouldn't make more than $10, and i'd have to pay daycare costs for 3 kids.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• we do have childcare assistance in my state but the waiting list is suuuuper long
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2013