Do you use your double stroller?

I am 22 wks pregnant and have a 2 year old son who will be 2.9 when the baby is born. I'm trying to decide if I even need a double stroller. So I'm curious to hear from mom's with 2 little ones (or more) if they invested in one or found that they never used it anyway. Also, for those of you that did decide to get one - did you go side by side or tandem? Any particular brand you like? The ones I've looked at so far are pretty expensive...most of them have been over $400.00.

Kimpossible

Asked by Kimpossible at 3:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should check craigslist. I think a double stroller is a GREAT IDEA for two kids, Im going to get one...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Have you checked out second hand shops. I loved my double and got it at a church sale for 25. Came in handy!
    Anonymous

• I don't use it much anymore for but I used mine for almost 2 yrs and it was FAB (my kids were about the same ages as URs when I used mine). I bought my double stroller off of craigslist too. Practically brand new and only spent $40!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 3:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I loathe mine... (shh! Don't tell) I thought it was just the one I had... it was the one thing I wanted to feel prepared with two kids. But the one I got originally (bottom rung because I saw how nasty the single got with food etc) was horrible. SO I traded up for a duo glider- it sucks too. They are heavy and awkward. And, my oldest is completely against being put in one now. SO it really only serves to put my purse in. If I had it to do over, I'd invest in some extra slings/wraps (my moby is awesome and I need to get a mei tai) and just keep the single stroller from the travel system I had. IF on the off chance the oldest wanted to get in, I could pull out the wrap and carry the youngest (which he prefers anyway)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Btw: Mil and fil bought my first double... I could have had anyone I wanted. But I didn't want to pay 300+ for something that would get crackers ground into it so I choose the cheapo one. If you need one at all, it's worth the money to spend... I'd love a sit and stand convertible because it would be worth while for the oldest who might actually get on if he wasn't forced to sit, lol. Those aren't horribly expensive either. But my ILs also bought the moby wrap which was 40 bucks... that money was much more well spent. I'd have bought two extra moby wraps and a new diaper bag for what we spent on the stroller- and I'd have been much better off :P

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I am going to get one. I speak to quite a few moms at the park I go to. They say they are great. I also heard the side by side ones work best. easy to use.I personally like the idea of them being side by side(so Ethan doesnt feel left out). I have looked on line at babies r us. I saw some side by sides for cheap $160. I also saw a really good tandem for $220. It is by contour and its red. It fits the carseat real nicely in there and giving the other one room to recline and you could change positions where the kids could face each other or both face you.
    kimmykat

Answer by kimmykat at 4:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had a Graco Side-by-Side umbrella stroller that I bought brand new for $50 (5 years ago) and LOVED it. It wasn't much wider than a wheelchair, so anywhere that followed the Handicap Access Laws was no problem for me, and when it folded down, it wasn't quite double the size of a single umbrella stroller and fit in the trunk of my rather small car just fine. Each side reclined independently, which meant my 8 week could recline like she needed to and my 2 year old could sit up and see, but if he fell asleep, I could lean him back. They also had independent shades. She always wanted hers, he never wanted his, so it worked. There were 2 storage bags, one on the back of each seat, and a detachable cup holder for the parents, so you could put it on which ever side you wanted. It worked through when my son turned 4, and my daughter was 2 1/2. I got 2 good years of hard use out of it, and it was still in good shape.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i have a chicco side by side that i really like; it was about $150, but with a newborn you'll need one you can put a carrier in. we bought my friend a tandem stroller and carseat combo for around $200 at babies r' us about two years ago, and she loves it. i can't remember the brand, though. i love the side by side, but honestly i go without a stroller whenever i can. and if there are two adults present, i greatly prefer taking two umbrella strollers. but if you'll be by yourself a lot, you'll probably get a lot of use from a double. i do think, though, that even though you'll need to start with a tandem you'll want to switch to a side-by-side later, so keep that in mind when deciding how much to spend.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009