I tried all day to stay calm with my son, but I just blew up

At the store I told him I'd buy him an umbrella if he behaved. The regular umbrellas were too expensive so I said we'll get a kids umbrella. He started whining and crying, so I said if he continues he won't get the umbrella. Thats when he continued to whine and went on to falling to the floor in a tantrum. So I didn't buy it. Next he keeps yelling at the dogs, bossing them around. I tell him to stop or he'll get a time out, he didn't stop. Later he put my shoes on and started stomping on the floor, I told him to stop. The list just goes on! Finally he got on my last nerve, I was outside smoking... he put my shoes on and started stomping again and came to the door. I told him to take my shoes off. He threw a fit and slammed the door as hard as he could. I blew up, stormed inside, spanked his butt and put him in his room for the night at only 6pm. What would you have done? And to anyone against spanking, I really don't wanna hear about it, so please no bashing. Btw my son is 6.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like one of those really bad days when they just keep finding ways to make you crazy. It's good that you separated yourself from him for a while. I swear that's why I still smoke- if it wasn't for that 10 minutes outside away from the stress... Anyway, since it's early I think I'd go in & say, "Listen, we've had a pretty rough day, how about we play a game of _____ (trouble, Uno, toss the ball, etc.) Just don't let the day end on a sour note if at all possible.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• First of all, did he get the time out you told him he would for bossing the dogs around?

what was the big deal with the shoes? I mean was he hurting them or you were just annoyed or what?

I don't think it was worth spanking (and yes- I spanked mine a few times when they were young) and sending to his room for the whole night that early honestly. I think it sounds like you needed a few min. alone
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• sounds like my 6yr old every other day. Although he has never thrown himself to the floor in public. He spend a lot of time in his room
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• ^^Agree with charlotsomtimes. Is your discipline method applied consistently? I did spank my kids on the rare occasion but it was due to them doing something dangerous (running in the street, etc). Mostly, I learned that I could anticipate behaviors and head them off at the pass. However, we didn't have major issues because I was really really consistent. And I did not have a ton of rules. Just a few, but they were big and the kids were expected to obey them.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• i wouldve popped his ass for the public display. not thought twice about it.
    given him the time out with the dogs- cause if i say it i mean it
    and probably ignored the shoe thing- by that point we would have both been in a bad mood and would have needed to lighten up
    course because i probably would have ignored the shoes mine probably wouldn't have slammed the door

have you talked to him yet about why he got his butt popped?
    that has always been a big thing in my house
    when i lose my shit i explain to the kids why i finally snapped
    they seem to appreciate that while you shouldnt hit sometimes parents have no other recourse

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I probably would have done the same thing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• If you didn't correct the behavior immediately then it's not going to work. You just taught him that it is ok to hit people when you are frustrated. He probably has no idea why he got spanked. I would have left my shopping cart where it was and took him home. Ignoring the tantrum and guiding people around him until he was done. If you threaten a time out for yelling at the dog then implement it as soon as he yelled again. Putting the dog outside for awhile would have been on my list. Doggy needs a time out too or rather a break. Take my shoes away and put them where they belong. Ignore the door slam and the fit that came with it. Time out. A minute per year of age. any complaints add a minute.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• He did get the time out for bugging the dogs. And about the shoe thing, he was purposely stomping hard on the ground with them. We have hard floors so it was annoying. And the fact that he put them on again after I told him not to just made it worse
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• 2autisticsmom- spanking is very rare in my house. Last time I spanked my son had to be over a year ago. It was just the fact that it was one thing after another, all day. I stayed calm all day and even warned him that he would get a spanking if he didn't start behaving, but nothing seemed to work
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I would have asked myself what quality time did I spend with him today. Lots of times kids go for negative attention if they do not get enough positive attention.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2013