my daughter is 10 and isn't ready for sleepovers at friends' houses. how should i respond to the moms who think that is silly.

iar1967

Asked by iar1967 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• ...why isn't she ready?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• She isn't ready, or you aren't ready? If it's her that isn't ready, then why does she feel that way?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I would just say she is not ready and when she is she will know.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't argue. Just say she's not ready, no thank you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• I am completely comfortable & ready for her to spend the night at a friends house as long as I know the parents. Both my daughters have separation anxiety, but unless you have had to deal with it with your own kids, most don't understand exactly how the child feels. I would never make them go if they didn't want to. I just hate the reaction I get from people. Most of them love to push off their kids every chance they get. We are a very close family. That's how I was raised too.
    iar1967

Comment by iar1967 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• You don't need to give a reason. That would really be reason enough. You just don't think she's ready. Who cares what others think? She's your daughter.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• You don't have to. My granddaughter is 9, and we don't allow her to either. No excuses, we just don't respond.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• WHY isn't she ready? Bed wetting? Severe separation anxiety? What other reasons could there be?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• Why not have some of her friends have a sleep over at your house? Then she can see what she is missing at other people's house. I don't know what you mean by a 'close family', but I considered my family close and I didn't have seperation anxiety at that age. Neither of my kids feel that way and we are a close family. They are more comfortable in their beds, but they like to experience other people's surroundings as well.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2013

• If you are concerned that her peers will look at her differently, then you can just say you already have plans and leave it at that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2013