4 year old is hiding things

my son is 4, hes been hiding things behind his tv and most recently underneath his pillow, im worried that there is something wrong, iv had him tested for autism and the doc said he has it but very little, im thinking its that but i wanna know for sure

oliviabenson92

Asked by oliviabenson92 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is he the only child in the house?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I hope your doctor is building a diagnosis of autism on more than just a four-year-old hiding things. My stepson, who has a fairly mild form of autism, did hide food and the like, so that now I don't allow any food or drink upstairs where the bedrooms are. But I'm sure a lot of kids who are not on the spectrum also hide things. What is the kid hiding?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• That doesn't scream autism to me, that just screams normal kid. I know a lot of kids who tend to hide things.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I don't know what that has to do with autism.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• My daughter still hides things, especially if its something she knows will get her in trouble. I caught her red handed trying to hide a pop tart! I also found a old banana peel under her desk. Oh yes, lots of kids this age likes to hide things!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• My 8 y.o. DD hides things all the time and she is not autistic. She just doesn't want to share certain things or in the case of the remote controls - she doesn't want anyone to change the channel when she is watching something. My kids don't have tv's in their rooms though, so that's not a fight I would even entertain.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Why the heck does a 4 year old have a TV?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• My 4 year old has a TV. Well, HE doesn't own it, I do (small old one) but it's in his room. He gets to watch a DVD for a while after his bath if he was good that day, but it goes off at bedtime. He can also turn it on when he wakes up on weekends. It isn't connected to cable though. I don't see the problem if it's not on all the time. I'd rather not have Spongbob and Thomas taking over my living room TV anyway.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Hiding things is a sign of Autism?
    I thought that was a sign that didn't want to share.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Sounds like insecurity about something. Has something changed recently, like right before this started?

When our kid was 4, he had a TV and a VCR so we didn't have to set through Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2013