Cut my finger.. ewww....

I was doing some chopping, and unfortunately got distracted with a very sharp knife in hand.. I cut through my fingernail and it was hanging on by a thread.. about half of it. When I held it to soak up the bleeding, I put the nail back in place.

Question is... should I tear the nail off? Or let it fall off on its own? Crazy glue? It's such a big piece, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 3:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Health

• Yep- but peroxide works great on getting blood out of clothes. So if you bled on your shirt, treat the stain w/ peroxide. As to the nail, OUCH! You have my sympathies. I would probably put some Neosporin & a band aid on it to protect it from getting caught on something & tearing the rest of the way off. I think it will probably fall off on its own eventually.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Good to know.. Thanks! I've totally been dousing it in peroxide but I will stop now... thought it was good that it was foaming like a rabid dogs mouth.
    I will let it heal properly then :) Thanks for all the answers!
    anestheticsex

Comment by anestheticsex (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Wow Crafty! I never knew that!
    It's amazing how we all turned out fine after all these years! LOL

SO...What is peroxide good for?

Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Yup... It's an outdated practice. Peroxide kills the leukocytes you need to heal... it's actually one of the worst things to put on/in cuts. Plain old soap and water or Epson salts are best!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• OUCH!! Damn that hurts!

SERIOUSLY Crafty? Peroxide has always been my go to for cuts! O thought Peroxide killed the germs.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Depending on what it looks like I'd say leave it on for now to protect the nail bed... leave it on until the tissue under toughens up a bit. DON'T use peroxide... it kills the good cells you NEED for healing.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Ouch! If you can pull it off without too much pain, it's probably worth doing because it will fall off by itself anyway. If it's too painful, just let It fall off on its own.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2013