my tv is on the whole day for my kids to watch i have a 3 yr old and a 11 month old baby does that make me a bad parent????i have so many other things to do im a sahm its pretty hard to balance everything.just educational things she learns sooooo much.am i wrong????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I took a parenting class that said babies under two shouldnt watch TV at all because it messes up their brain development
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• How does it do that?
    Anonymous

• I think as long as you don't allow them to sit in front of it 24/7 all day long, all week long, it's ok. I always have the tv on. Sometimes it's for the kids to watch or relax when they need some down time. And for most of the day, I put on FoodNetwork for me to listen while I play with them or clean. =) But that doesn't make U a bad parent at all.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 3:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I limit what my 4 yr old watches. She gets a couple hours during the day of TV then she knows its time for other things. For instance between loads of laundry this morning we cut out shapes and drew pictures. After that she "helped" me fold laundry and put it away. She also has playdates with my grandson whose 2 so they go outside and do things there. I dont think it makes you a bad mom but you might consider making room for other things other then tv.

Answer by gemgem at 3:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• And we wouldn't we all be messed up??
    Anonymous

• nope your not horrible(degree in early childhood, yes it says they shouldn't) but i did with DD#1 and she spoke in complete sentences "I want milk," simple sentences before she turned 1, do i think the tv had an effect on her no not at all, in fact she has done everything early unlike her sister who has just decided to crawl at 8 months.
    we do turn the tv off to do "school" I am a SAHM as well now. i grew up with tv always on and i like to have the background noise, my kids still play and will glance at the tv every now and then but not sit and stare at it.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 3:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• umm yeah i dont know about messing up brain cells that just sounds a bit ridiculous to me..kids learn alot from dora and diego such cartoons...and i dont allow them to sit in front of the tv all day long its just on practically in every room...thank you all for your honest answers.....
    Anonymous

• I under stand using tv as a baby sitter. Everyone has at one time or the other I am sure. But you could try getting some kids music cds pop one in give them some paper and crayons and let them color. You could get fat crayons for easier handling. You could go to the library and rent some books on tape and let them listen to them. You could give them a rag and have them "clean". Hope this helps.
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 3:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• lol if you're horrible im queen supreme of horrible lol
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't think you should do that. I mean is it so hard to watch your kids and do what needs to be done? No, it's really not. Don't be lazy. Kids should learn from an actual person, not a tv screen.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009