i want to subponea my ex for all back child support he owe.can i do that.

My child needs things and she goes to school.he does not help her.help me please.

Ksubway

Asked by Ksubway at 9:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• The state will enforce the child support order but you need to talk to a lawyer that is familiar with the laws in your state.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• You can't subpoena anyone. Only a government agency can do that. Even then they only subpoena people to testify if they witnesses something or have evidence of something that pertains to the case. Do you have a court order for child support? Not sure how it works in your state, but in my state we would go to the child support enforcement office and they would get things started as far as garnishing wages, bank accounts, etc. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Child Support Enforcement isn't a lot of help. The only upside I've found to having them involved is that their lawyer shows up when I file something against my ex. She presents CSE's case, not mine...but it's the same thing. She even calls and emails with me so we walk into Court on the same page. I still have the opportunity present mine, but by the time they get to me CSE's lawyer has already put my ex in his place so there's nothing for me to do. When the judge asks if I want to question my ex, I can say no and not worry.

What you want to file is a Motion to Show Cause, not a subpoena. Unlike most Family Law issues it is a criminal matter, so he will be entitled to a court appointed attorney, even if your State doesn't appoint them in other Family Law matters.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• How old is the child? How has she been able to get everything she needs since her father has been absent?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• You can contact your Child Support Agency & request a review. But unless there are changes in income, they usually won't adjust it. Unfortunately, they don't adjust for COLA. :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Talk to your Domestic Relations office. Give them any updated info that you know of his location, employment, etc.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• this is in 18+ so I think different states have a staute of limtations on how long you have to sue for back support, check into that and then take him to civil court
    answersjunkie

Answer by answersjunkie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• A subpoena isn't what you need here. What you need is (depending on how it works in your state) a motion for contempt, which then leads to a hearing in which a judge will hold him in contempt for failing to pay, or to go to child support enforcement and have them do whatever they do to get things going. If it's the motion for contempt, the results will vary, depending on what he does and what your state does when child support isn't paid. He might go to jail, he might be ordered to pay, they could suspend his license. You can't really force him to pay - all you can do is use the court system (or child support enforcement) to try to get him to do so.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• request a show cause hearing.....where he must provide show cause why he is unable to support his children. Best luck
    B.Conley75

Answer by B.Conley75 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2013

• Social services can help you get this going along with child support.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2013