Apparently I've taken the "eating for two" thing entirely too seriously. What can I do to control the weight gain from here on out? Is it too late?

Before I got pregnant I was 150 pounds. Now I fluctuate between 165 and 170 and I'm only 20 weeks pregnant today! So I've gained 15-20 pounds.

I haven't been eating unhealthy...just a bit more than I did before I got pregnant. I was dieting before I got pregnant so I obviously started eating a tad more but apparently it was more than I thought :( I gained 10 pounds very early due to my nausea...I would eat constantly because the only thing that would ease the nausea was a snack and then it would come right back...so I'd eat again. Then we went on vacation and I was eating AWFUL for a week....came back and weighed myself and hadn't gained any more and then over the course of a week I've gained 5-8 pounds.

Since we got back from vacation I've been eating much healthier and much less. I just feel hungry all the time...I just kind of deal with it though because I obviously need to control this weight gain. I've been taking 45min-1hour walks every other day as well (I would daily if it wasn't raining so much).

But my question is...at this point is it too late to control this? Is there anything else I can do? I'm really upset about it :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Pregnancy

• first of all -you should not be trying to lose while pregnant...and you ARE pregnant, so as long as you eat decent -you shouldn't worry about it too much.
    I am wondering if you are eating enough though...especially if you are feeling hungry. Are you getting enough protein?
    you need a certain amount of calories based on height weight and such every day- even when not pregnant and eating lessthan that is not good...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm just trying not to gain TOO much. I've already gained nearly 20 pounds and I'm only at the halfway mark. My doctor told me 25 pounds is the max so I'm only supposed to gain 5 more pounds in the next 20 weeks?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• It may level out if you just stick to healthy foods. Just add more veggies, fruits. lean proteins and whole grains. Watch out for sauces and condiments and sugary drinks. If you are eating healthy, really healthy, it's hard to over do it and you shouldn't be hungry.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Everyone is different and it sounds like you will go over the 25, but that doesn't mean you will be unhealthy IF you eat only healthy choices. Fruits are in season now so why not have a nice selection of them on hand for when you need something to curb the cravings. Eliminate everything unhealthy in your kitchen. That's the only thing that helps me. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• The most important thing is to eliminate as much salt & sugar that you can from your diet since they both can cause problems. If you do that then you are eating right. No fast food, Pizza is loaded with sugar. Remember carbs turn to sugar too. Drink lots of water & veggies, whole grain breads, red meat & chicken. It's the junky snacks, take out food, fast food & desserts that put on the weight with no real nutritional value.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Only eat when your actually hungry. Ask yourself when you go look at food in the kitchen or you pull over for fast food if your physically hungry. You should eat healthy but also eat what you love too but only when hungry.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 12:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• What idiot told you that you should be "eating for two" when you are pregnant ?
    That is just not true. Your baby will get nutrients through the placenta's blood supply and will never need you to eat more and gain all kinds of weight! It's not healthy to be overweight while pregnant. I gained about 25 pounds with each pregnancy and my babies were extremely healthy and weighed between 7 and 8 pounds. And then I lost almost all the weight and felt great within about two weeks.
    Anonymous

• You only need to eat about 300 extra calories a day to support your pregnancy. That being said, you might gain more than 25 pounds in your pregnancy. The twenty-five pound thing is an average. Some gain more, some less.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Just eat super healthy an you can go to nutritionist and they can give you a plan of what you need and all that good stuff!! Good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Yeah the extra calories for the pregnancy are equivalent to a PB&J sandwich a day. Go for smaller meals and maybe one snack . Drink water that is the only thing your baby cannot pull from your body.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2013