Ques. for moms attending college

Just found out that Fall classes start 8/19. I informed my son of the date, since he's a huge procrastinator & I knew he didn't even sign up for his classes yet. I helped with his FASFA, but he needed to do the PIN & hit submit. (Takes about a minute to do his part) He STILL hasn't done that part yet! What are the chances that his FAFSA will get processed in time for him to even attend classes this coming semester?

*Had to put this in Just for Fun since they took away the Back to School category

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Just for Fun

• My stepdaughter did that the first year she went to college. She still got in, but she definitely got less in financial aid than she otherwise would have. It was a good learning experience for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• He should be fine. But will likely get less money in grants.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Depends on when he gets it in. I thought they had a deadline for that so they could figure out financial aid ahead of time.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• i have registered and forgotten to update fafsa until after classes started
    not the best way to do it but meh it happens
    just dont tell him that i suppose so hell get his stuff in order
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Financial aid can work retroactive. My first semester using grants was actually my 3rd semester of school, but they managed to get me everything I would've been entitled to the previous year in grants had I applied for them.

I agree with not telling him, though. Your bigger concern is can he actually get into his classes. Our registration for fall opened in February. All of my classes were full by the end of the week, and if seniors weren't given registration preference, I never would've gotten into them. If he fills in with extra stuff he doesn't need, he could actually run out of financial aid before he graduates.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• It will depend on the school. Some schools have deadlines and if you don't meet the deadline you will have to pay for classes and then once your financial aid does get to the school, you will be reimbursed. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2013