What do you unpack first when everything needs to be unpacked?!

I have to start somewhere! I just keep getting all turned around because this needs that and that needs this. I need to start with something and stick with it! I ran out of hangers unpacking clothes, I got all confused in the kitchen because I don't know if the plates should go by the sink or by the oven, this stuff just doesn't come natural to me.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I usually get basic bathroom stuff done first (towels, shampoo /conditioner, razors, soap, toilet paper) done first. Then I try to get the kitchen squared away. Then I move on to the bedroom stuff.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• bathroom, kitchen, kids rooms, living room, dining room, master bedroom, other rooms
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I just start putting things away. You can always rearrange later. I keep the dinnerware near the sink, and the food near the stove.

I think you just have to jump in and start.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• We always start in the kichen and then get the living room and bedrooms.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I had the food by the stove and the dishes by the sink but my SO told me that was wrong so I switched them, but now I'm doing dishes and having to walk them across the kitchen to put them away. :/
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Do you have any cabinets right next to the oven? Use those for pans/dishes, put food at the other end. Oven will heat up the cabinets around it and that can be bad for any food stored in them. Otherwise do what makes sense for the whole process - you don't want to run across the room to grab things you need to stir or add while you're on the stove, but you also don't want to carry the heaviest pans the farthest or up them up high.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I usually start with the kitchen and bathroom, and just enough clothes to wear for a few days. The rest of it can come later, all that matters the first night is beds to sleep in and a coffeepot for the morning!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I had the food by the stove and the dishes by the sink but my SO told me that was wrong so I switched them, but now I'm doing dishes and having to walk them across the kitchen to put them away.

First of all, the kitchen has to suit your needs because you'll be the one cooking and doing dishes most of the time. There's no wrong way.

Secondly, my hat is off to you. Moving just plain sucks rocks. You deserve a medal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Bathroom & kitchen have to be first. Eating, drinking & what comes naturally have to be addressed first. GL to you on your move- you have my sympathies.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• The kitchen & at least 1 bathroom.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2013