Sports

What sports do your little ones do and how long and how demanding is the schedule? My dd is starting soccer in the fall....just Saturdays. She use to do dance but she is more interested in this.
I have to also volunteer so it should be fun and a good way to meet other people.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• DS does baseball and sometimes another sport. Baseball is 2-3 nights a week depending on the season and the team. He loves it though so I have no problem being at the field all the time.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• So far my daughter, who is five, isn't doing any organized sports. I had hr in a program through her pre-K called Jumpbunch, which introduced her to a wide variety of sports and games, a different one each week. She loved that, but I don't want to get her into team sports right away. It's just personal preference. I see a lot of moms pushing their kids--my sister's boy is sometimes in five sports at once--and it's almost anobsesion with some.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• My son started martial arts at age 5. Practice was twice a week for 1.5 hours with demos on some weekends. He stopped at 7.
    He did basketball, practice once a week for an hour, games on Saturday
    Flag football this past spring. Practice once a week, games on Saturday

Now this fall he is doing travel soccer. Practice will be twice a week, games on Sunday and have to travel almost an hour for games. he has already started training sessions that are on Sundays for an hour.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Mine plays basketball, which practiced 1 -2 eves. a week & then had games on Saturdays. And Softball, which also involved 2-3 days a week.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• It is difficult to commit during the week other wise she would be in dance also. As she gets older it will hope to get easier.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• My kids play soccer in the fall & spring. I coach both... DS is in U7 which is one hour one evening a week & one hour on Saturday. DD is in U10 travel which is two one hour practices and a game on the weekends. They both do swim lessons in the summer - six weeks 45 minutes five days a week and learn to skate in the winter (1.5 hours a week).
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• As she gets older it will hope to get easier.
    libramoon007 Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

^^^Don't count on it. If anything it will require more time. Maybe you can carpool with some of the other parents when you have to work. Another reason I love my van. I'm usually carting around at least 1 extra kid :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Crafty, did you have any soccer knowledge before coaching? I would love to coach or maybe assistant to start with but I don't have no soccer experience.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Yes I've played since I was in 5th grade, varsity all thru HS, several high level club teams and in a woman's league for about 15 years. I'm also a certified athletic trainer (sports medicine specialist) and have provided medical coverage on the sidelines for years. Ohhh, and I taught at a summer camp for years. So, yeah I'm in deep!! I would suggest offering to help out some of the more experienced coaches. I have an inexperienced mom with me right now as my assistant for my sons U7 team... It's good to have the help and she's learning tons. You can also take coaching classes too... I actually have a 2nd level coaching license... Even with my experience I learned a ton at the classes I had to take for that. Don't let lack of experience stop you... Just make sure they pair you up with someone experienced! You won't regret it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Ok thank you. I will look into assisting to help when it starts. I signed yo for fundraising for right now. We shall see how it goes.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2013