When can babies eat meats?

I have a bunch of jars of veggie turkey that my mom gave me, but when can a baby's tummy digest meat safely?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doctors in the U.S. will vary on what age to introduce meats but generally it is in the 8-9 month range. Many are now recommending that meats may be introduced between 7-8 months of age. It is now common practice for pediatric authorities, specifically in Canada, the EU and the U.K. to recommend meat as one of baby's first solid foods. This is due to the high levels of heme-iron that are found in meats.

Chicken or turkey is generally recommended as the first meats to introduce when first offering baby meats.

As always, it is recommended that you consult your pediatrician about introducing solid foods to your baby as generalities may not apply to your baby!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/meats.htm

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• is it Gerber baby food? It usually says on the jar the age range. I gave my DD the meat kind at 5 months
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is earth's best and it doesn't say. I gave him some at 6 months and he threw it up, so I'm reluctant to try so soon now....
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i started feeding our DD meat when she was around 6-7months old. i pureed (sp?) them, like everything else back when she couldnt chew that good yet ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Most doctors will say that it doesn't really matter what order you introduce foods in. However, most moms decide to do veggies and fruits and introduce meats and dairy later when baby's system is more developed and can handle complex proteins. I just introduced meats about a month ago (my daughter is 10 mo.) and have had no issues.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• We started at 7 months with chicken
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009