Here's the question I have been holding in! Scentsy remains and allergies!

The tenant before us in this house sold Scentsy. It didn't click in my head until after two days of me sniffling and sneezing that she had stored her stock in the hallway closet and that's what was causing me to be sick. I can't even open that closet without getting sick. (I also can't walk down the laundry detergent isle at the store without getting sick)

So, is there anything I can do to clear out that scent? Baking soda maybe? My mom is also deathly allergic to perfumes so she can't come over until I get that scent out.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Shit! That would kill me too.

I would sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and close the door. Maybe that might soak up some of the smell.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Activated charcoal. You can get it at the pet store

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• The floors are oak. Shelves are wood.

Activated charcoal? Would a brita filter work? I have a stockpile of those.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Door has definitely stayed closed- Every time I have to open it I gag.

I didn't have internet the first few days here but I probably would have posted, Am I pregnant? I keep smelling weird things and throwing up!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I'm not sure the Brita filters would work with the way they're packaged, but you could try a few of them in the closet till you can get those boxes of baking soda or the activated charcoal from the store. That would make me queasy, too, and probably trigger a migraine. Maybe you could stuff a towel under the closet door so the smell won't seep out intothe room as much. Yuck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Well I was gonna smash the plastic off, lol. I'll price activated charcoal.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• I used regular grill charcoal ($4 for 15 lbs) and boxes of baking soda to get the musty smell out of my basement.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• If you're renting, you need to talk to the landlord about it - they should've taken care of that before you moved in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• It is only bothersome to me because I am so sensitive. The house is spotless and its not mold or bugs. She just had candles stored. Anything the landlord would do I can do too. Without makeup in my underpants too.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I will say this- Scentsy releases only fragrance oils into the air- no paraffin or wax. You can leave a warmer on for a month and the wax level will be the same as when you put it in. The simple storing of wax should not leave a lingering odor. I have, literally, 8 dozen bars here for personal use and I can't smell any of them walking by.
    I mean, if I walk past certain stores in the mall I get an instant migraine, and I only ever had that with one scentsy scent, and that had a LOT of patchouli in it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2013