Deported for being too fat

How's this for an immigration policy?

South African chef 'too fat' to live in New Zealand

Since Obamacare is going to include a grossly expanded medicaid program to about half the country, should health factors like this be included in our immigration screening and be grounds for deportation?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure, why not? And while they're at it, whydon't they just start telling everybody exactly what to eat, how many sodas can be had in a day, and how much exercise has to be taken each week? After all, they're paying the healthcare bills. And if the exact instructions aren't followed, maybe mothers-to-be should be charged with child abuse. I think nationalized healthcare will open the way to a lot of invasions by the government into the private lives of its citizens. Weight restrictions on immigrants might just be the beginning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• how many others have had to leave the country due to this.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• Hmm, who was that other guy who wanted a perfect human race?! Oh yeah, Hitler!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2013

• New Zealand has had a strict immigration policy for awhile. One of my sons planned to go there and live for three years to play basketball. Hin his paperwork it said he had to have a physical prior to entry and one of the "no nos" was having a BMI above normal. It said due to their socialized medicine where everyone has the right to medical care, they didn't want to pay for people who would have the health related issues from obesity. Can't blame them really
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

Godwin's Law in only 3 answers. That's gotta be a record.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Godwin's Law in only 3 answers. That's gotta be a record.
    NotPanicking Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) a minute ago

^^^^OK....... Thanks?!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• ^^^^OK....... Thanks?!

That wasn't a compliment. Furthermore the reasoning was not for creating the "perfect human race" it was for minimizing the financial strain in regards to medical services that would be needed due to the increased weight of the immigrant. Since obesity leads to several medical complications such as heart disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis etc.
    I would normally say that New Zealand's immigration policies are there own business and they deny immigration based on any factor they wish. However, I also find it rather contradictory and hypocritical seeing as he has lost weight since his visa was first accepted and his heath has been steadily improving.
    Now as for the US and whether obamacare will affect it on an immigration basis. I doubt it since we are the second most obese nation in the world.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• That wasn't a compliment.
    Answer by KristiS11384 31 minutes ago

^^^ Thanks for the clarification. I didn't really think it was- that was my attempt at sarcasm. I can't help it if that's what popped into my mind when I hear stories like that. We can't all have the perfect body type & to treat someone differently b/c of their BMI is a form of discrimination in my book. I get that there are health risks. But there are also risks in many other things people do. Will they start kicking people out b/c of the risk involved in their jobs, or weekend hobbies? Are smokers not allowed to stay? I think it's a slippery slope, & I really hope it doesn't give our Govt. any more asinine ideas than they already have.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Are smokers not allowed to stay? I think it's a slippery slope, & I really hope it doesn't give our Govt. any more asinine ideas than they already have.

It's already legal to fire them or refuse to hire them. There's precedent...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2013