Normal dog behavior?

i have a chihuahua he's about 6 months old. and he was good as a puppy.. but when he got to be about 4 months he was peeing all over my carpet even though he was pad trained.. and so he is now an outside dog.. so he gets lots of attention from the kids.. they are always playing with him.. we stop taking him for walks because he doesn't walk.. regardless we use to take him three days a week but we would end up dragging him the whole way home.. or he would just sit their.. sooooooo here's my problem... for the last month or so.. he has been biting everyone that steps out in the back yard.. he eats up anything and everything that is left out.. or is outside like the kids toys..example... the other day i was bbqing at night and i brought him in his room (the laundry room) and i left my matches outside by mistake.. so in the morning i let him back out and i came in to get him food in the seconds that i came in the house and got back outside he had destroyed my box of matches and spread them all over my yard.... and he has been digging tons of holes all over my yard.. i dont know what to do... .. i dont know if this normal behavior.. with a small dog.. or what?

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2013 in Pets

• No, it's really not normal behavior. Sounds like he has developed some aggressive behaviors. Have you thought about taking him to an obedience class?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I don't know much about small dogs in particular, but I think you all would benefit from an obedience class. The dog learns to obey, and the owners learn how to communicate their wishes to the dog effectively.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I would imagine he's unhappy living outside. If I were a Chihuahua and someone made me live outside, I would bite too and tear up stuff. My Chihuahuas would go apeshit if I made them live outside. Chihuahuas are NOT outside dogs.

Take him to the vet and obedience classes.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• No that is not normal. You let him get away with too much. He is the pack leader instead of the other way around. He also has too much energy, the reason why he is chewing things, and all that fun stuff. Take him for walks. MAKE HIM WALK. I would recommend, unless you already have one one is a harness. Anyway, when you go on the walk, and you put hte leash on give a little quick tug, if he refuses to walk, and when he moves on his own, immediately release the tension on the leash, he does it again, repeat. Its time consuming, but make him walk. It will do wonders for the sudden aggression, and also tired dog is a happy dog. 

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I would also crate train him. Its a wonderful tool, and dogs, 98% of the time will not pee/poop where they sleep. And its jusr better for them. Here is a site that may help you..\

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Dogs are pack animals so he is acting out and probably bored. You can fix this but it will take some time. You need to bring him back inside and rehousebreak him. The puppy pads need to go. Get him a crate and on a schedule. Take him outside and reward him when he goes outside. Do not let him have full run of your home. you should only allow him in the area you are in. Teach him out to walk on a leash. Practice in your yard, get some treats that are easy to break apart and lure him while on leash. He will eventually learn to walk on the leash and be able to go on walks. Secondly, socialize him. Get him out in public and expose him to different situations. He is probably biting because he feels the back yard his is territory so you need to reclaim that space and show him who the alpha is. Make him work for EVERYTHING.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2013