How can I help my 14 month old sleep while we are on vacation?

Day 1: one 60 min nap at 10:30 am. Then awake as we packed & at airport our flight was delayed twice. No nap on plane. Finally got to grandmas house. By the time she got to "bed" (pack n play) it was 1.5 hrs past regular bedtime. Didnt sleep, got overheated. Took off sleep sack, still upset. Finally brought her in bed w me. Slept fitfully.

Late nap today. Took 42 min of fuss then finally sleep in pack n play. Awake after 45 min, brought her to bed w me. She napped ON me for 2 hrs.

It's night #2 and again she only sleeps on me. Side note: husband is over tired too and totally not helpful.

redcarnelle

Asked by redcarnelle at 12:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Travel

• Did you cross some time zones? Maybe her "clock" is off. New place, new sounds, new smells. It will take a while to adjust. If it's not much longer, can she just sleep with you?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Try to keep her on her normal sleep schedule. Don't let her sleep late in the morning. Get naps in if you can. And definitley don't allow her to stay up late. The later it gets, the harder it is to get to sleep. She sounds very overtired.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• You are starting a pattern you will not like continuing. You will end up teaching your child that fussing will end her in bed with you.
    The key is to stick to normal as closely as you can and to make sure she gets plenty of exercise and fresh air Yes I realize this is a 14 month old but they need to move and play too and not be too over stimulated just before nap or/ bed time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Could you try putting a T-shirt or something with your scent on it in the pack n play with your daughter? Just your scent alone may be enough comfort to let her drift off to sleep. Vacations can be rough.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I'd let her fall asleep with me then transfer her to her bed after she is sleeping soundly.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• How many time zones did you cross? I have taken DD back 3 hours timezone wise, and forward 9 hours. Stick to the same routine you have at home. Do something for her everyday like the local park or museum. And dont break your rules because you are somewhere else. Those habits will not stay at your grandmas house. Snuggle her a little more during the day. Make her feel safe in her new enviornment. And give her a few days to adjust. It will be ok.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2013