How do you know if ur baby is colic??

he fusses all the time and wont let me put him down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Colic" is a nasty, nasty term for "your baby cries a lot and we don't know why. deal with it"
    The official definition is a baby that cries for more than 3 hours during the day, more than 3 days a week, for more than 3 weeks.

If your baby is just fussing, not screaming his head off, and it's pretty much when you set him down, then it's not colic, it's normal baby behavior.
    If it was colic, he would scream and nothing you did would help. Pick him up? He'd still scream. He may stop for a moment, but he'd start right back up again. Take him outside, inside, swing him, sway him - nothing would help. Clean diapers, full tummy, dim lights, soft music, no music, out shopping, quiet at home... nothing helps. Colic is a living hell to go through for both baby and parents.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My dd was colic and she would literally scream at the top of her lungs for about 6 hours a day, the only time she was quiet was when she was eating, it was a living hell, literally. She would start at about 3-4pm every day and it lasted until she was 12 weeks old. We tried gas drops, white noise, car rides, walks in the stroller and NOTHING helped.
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son would start crying at the same time every night...about 10:00 and would go on for a few hours. It wasn't an "I'm in pain" sound it was more of a whiney cry that turned into an "i'm pissed off" cry. I turned the vacuum on and the noise from that helped.
    louisianagir76l

Answer by louisianagir76l at 4:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• There are lots of different theories about what colic is, what it's caused by, and how to fix it. We found the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book/DVD to be super helpful in explaining why babies are so "clingy" and fussy those first several months. Basically, their brains aren't totally able to process all the stimuli (sight/sound/smell) that they're recieving, AND their a little shocked at the difference between the womb and the outside world. They go from spending 9 months all warm, snuggled in, and hearing the sound of your heartbeat - which is about the level of a vacuum cleaner - to being sometimes cold, out in the wide open, and surrounded by new and different noises and sometimes even silence! While you wait for their little brains to catch up to handle the stimuli, you can help to recreate the womb environment by swaddling them or wearing them in a sling, and using a fan or white noise sometimes. Check out the book
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My DD had "colic" but it was really milk and soy protein allergies and acid reflux. Once we got her on her meds and I stopped eating milk and processed foods (they contain soy protein) she cleared up. It was like night and say.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You will know by the crying day and night. I went through it with my very first child. Very, very hard on you. Makes you feel like a bad mom, cause you cant figure out what's wrong and fix it. Try swaddling, music on all the time, put some flashing Christmas lights on the ceiling and try to distract them. (for some reason babies just love to look at flashing Christmas lights). Get help from family members so you can have a break. The only good thing is that it will go away and things WILL get better. I changed formula and went to soy, It seemed to just go away then. Milk allergy? I'm not really sure, but probably more than likely, Some believe it is due to the digestion and they have a stomach ache. Seemed like that was my child's problem. Worth a try changing to soy if you have been dealing with it for awhile, and you believe your child may have a stomach ache. If you have a colic child, I feel for you. IT WILL PASS!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2009