Baby sore throat?

My son (7 months) has a sore throat and keeps coughing and wheezing. Is there baby dayquil or anthing like that we can give him?
I've been giving him sips of water and tylenol but it's not doing much and he seems miserable :(

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just had this issue with my son! All those symptoms are actually his body fighting off whatever virus/bacteria he's got. How does his cough sound? Is it wet/dry? Does it sound like it's in his chest? Is his nose runny or stuffed? If he's fighting a virus, then medicines will only prolong the sickness (they just cover symptoms). If it's bacterial there are some natural cures you can try, like putting some grapefruit seed extract in with his juice if he takes it. To make him more comfortable you can hang out in the bathroom while the shower runs hot and breathe the steam. If it sounds like it's in his chest, it's always a good idea to have him checked to make sure it's not actually in his chest. Lots of hugs, kisses, and snuggles go a long way when they're sick, too. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Call your pedi, I think you can only give pain/fever reducer.
    Anonymous

• yeah u have to call your doctor because they don't sell any over the counter medicine for kids under 3 except for tylenol.
    Anonymous

• There's no infant cold/flu medicine. Tylenol or Motrin is all you can give. I'm not sure how you know his throat hurts. Is he eating less?
    Anonymous

• He can't have any cold meds.
    He could have Motrin AND Tylenol if needed.
    But if he is wheezing you should call his doctor and have him looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Do NOT give an infant cold/flu medication!!! AAHHHH!!

I would have to find it but there is new research out that shows the incredible harm it can do, and manufacturers are slowly taking that stuff off the shelves!!!

Babies's livers cannot process the stuff in cold/flu medications, and what starts out as an issue of trying to rid a baby of a flu can end up in liver failure.

Try a humidifier. If you don't have one, run the shower and sit with baby in the bathroom. I even like to rub vicks on the shower walls for that menthol effect, lol.

Also, my friends swear by this, but rub some vicks on the baby's feet and put socks on him. I actually tried it last night with my 20 month old and I think it worked, haha.

Just call your ped and see what they can do for you but don't go out and get any OTC flu/cold medication!

Good luck hun.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was just told Monday night that motrin works the best for sore throats on babies rather than tylenol...HOPE IT HELPS!
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 5:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009