Need suggestions on organizing please!

I have to clean out and organize my bedroom/kids bedrooms and our basement. We just have too much stuff. It is so overwhelming. Every time I go in to start I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Go through with out the kids and start to toss things they don't play with. Donate the things in good condition and toss the things that are broken. Get big bins to hold the items they do play with. Get separate open top buckets/bin to hold toys that go together. (Barbie Stuff, GI Joes, dress up clothes, board games, art stuff...) Make it a daily chore for the kids to pick up their space and get things back into the correct bins.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Start with just one room and do what But_Mommie suggested.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• one room @ a time..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Check out http://www.flylady.net/

There's a lot on how to do this :) And they make it easy. The trick is not to try to do it all in one fell swoop.

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• My son has this shelf with 6 buckets inside the shelf with toys. What I do is (get rid of the kids FIRST) I dump all of the bins in the middle of the floor, then set the buckets out around me with a give away box an a trash bag, then I just start picking toys up broken-toss, no longer age appropriate-give away, still plays put it in a bucket. I used to do things like cars in one bucket, animals in one bucket super hero's in one bucket etc. but lately I have just started shoving them in whatever bucket is closest.
    I pretty much do that with every room in the house.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Great ideas above. Start with one section of each room. You'll be amazed at the momentum you get when you start small. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Get a few boxes or bags and start weeding out the things you want to donate and the things you want to throw away. Once you have that stuff removed, the organizing can begin. It's likely it will come together much easier when you weed out the things you don't need or want anymore.

I just went through my kid's rooms and I still feel like there is tons of stuff we could get rid of. There are certain things I don't want to toss or donate until I know they have grown out of them. Like, when do girls usually grow out of playing with Barbies? DD's got tons of that stuff and I would love to get rid of it. She doesn't usually play with it, but I would hate to toss it and then she wants to play with her Barbie crap.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I have trouble getting rid of my daughter's stuff because my mom was the kind who would just swoop in and give hings away or throw them away when I still wanted them, and I hated that. What has helped me a lot is an in-between box. Every so often--probably not often enough--I'll go through my daughter's toys, and anything I think she might have outgrown or lost interest in goes into the in-between box. I don't ask for her input because at five, nothing would ever be given away. The in-between box goes out to the garage, and if my daughter hasn't asked about the stuff or mentioned missing it when a few weeks have gone by, it's history. Once or twice, she's looked for something that was in the box, but usually she doesn't.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I just stared this. I started with one room at a time and got bins and baskets. Pretty ones so it motivates me more and I am a cluttered and I keep too much so I decided to just toss it if it has not been used or if there is no home for it. And when I take out something to put it right back after use. I am getting there. Good luck!
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2013