Would you feel guilty, or if it was you, would your feelings be hurt?

My mom is wonderful! She does so much for us. She's generous with her time & yes, her money too. (She helps with the kids' clothes, shoes, etc.) Well, she went w/ some friends to see Elvis & Johnny Cash impersonators & raved about how good they were. She asked if we wanted to see them (her treat) I like Elvis, but am not a fan of Johnny Cash. Neither is my husb. I know the kids wouldn't care for any of it. They are performing at a county fair about an hr. away from us. Not only is it on a week day (work day), but I don't see the point if 1/2 our group wouldn't like any of it & the rest (except mom) only liked 1 of the 2 performers. So we declined her offer, but I could hear the disappointment in her voice. She said she'd see if her brother wanted to go. I think that would be better, if she took someone who wants to see both & would enjoy it as much as she did.

What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Relationships

• I think it was sweet, and while she might seem disappointed she may end up finding someone that wants to see the whole thing, like you said. Plus, bringing kids to something they don't want to be at can ruin the night for everyone (at least, that's been my experience).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I would not be hurt but understand why you did not want to attend.....there will be many other times you can share stuff with her that you both enjoy.

Answer by older at 1:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I think you made the right choice. She might have been disappointed, but she should understand.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I think I probably would have gone, if it would have brought her joy. I fully support your reasoning behind not going but, if it were me, I probably would have made the sacrifice. Especially if she was supportive of me and my family when I needed it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Oh, but yes, I would probably feel a little guilty until I knew that she secured another date.

Would my feelings be hurt if I were her? Not really. I would maybe be disappointed, but I would understand that an event an hour away on a weeknight when the other people attending with me work in the morning might not have the same level of commitment to attend.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if I were in the position of your mom. I might be disappointed, but I'd get over it, knowing that the show wasn't at a convenient time or place and that it wouldn't be to your taste. Maybe suggest something else all of you could do together that everyone would enjoy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Knowing it was a workday, I'd feel neither of those emotions.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2013