Curly shoe laces or double tie? Silicone laces? Knot bone?

We're in the process of learning how to tie shoes but haven't quite got it. With school about to start, I was looking for an opinion about the curly shoe laces. If they keep the shoes on like regular laces when kids are playing? Or would silicone laces or knot bone be better? Right now we double tie them. Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teach your children to tie shoelaces.
    It is a valuable life skill, like wiping your own butt, and telling time on a clock.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Thanks but if you had read it I said we are teaching her. She ties them but their too loose.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I'd stick with regular laces. It will help her improve her skill at it. Practice makes perfect!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• You're braver than I am, Mama. So far, I've opted for Velcro. I know we'll have to tackle laces sooner or later, but it was suc a misery of mine when I went to school that I haven't dealt with it yet. (I tried to give up tying my shoes one year for Lent.)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Meh... we bought the curly ones for our middle son. He has to change from his dress shoes to gym shoes in three minutes. It is too much to ask in such a short time and the teacher has 24 other kids to help...so we opted for ease over skill at this moment. We are practicing for 15 minutes every night though, so he learns the skill too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• with my dd who is in headstart I stayed away from the curly laces because they lose their curl after awhile and then they don't look good anymore. I just double knoted her shoes laces and she has never had a problem. FYI she is at headstart from 7:30am to 4ish
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• My sister teaches kindergarten. She told me once that if she could have one wish, it would be for a shoe tying stand in the corner of her classroom, staffed every minute of class time by parent volunteers. She said the stand would always have a line, and she'd save tons of time from having to tie kids' shoes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• my dd just turned 7 and she doesn't tie hers tight enough either. before school, I tie them for her and double knot so she don't have to worry about it while at school.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• @josiesmommy00,,, that's what we're doing.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2013