Driver's Education fails Please post here.

so as some of you know DD is taking driver's education. Today was her first day out actually driving and it was less than spectacular. She has problems turning into her own lane. She didn't run anyone or anything over, she did not bounce off the curb, she always used her turn signal and did not wreck the car. Had there been tons of traffic who knows. Anyways she is down on herself for not doing better. I told her mistakes are to be expected it was her first time. Please share some of your first time fails so she can see not everyone drives perfectly at first. I took off from a dead stop in third gear on the school's brand new manual transmission. A student I was riding with ran into the wall while parking.. What about you or your children?

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 6:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• We didn't have driver's ed, but with my permit for the longest time I had a problem with my speed, I was either way too slow or way too fast, I backed into something in the dark and eff'd up my dads muffler, I parked on a hill and forgot to put the e-brake on and it rolled down, slamming into the side of my boyfriends crappy little Toyota, my sister ran down a mail box once, my newly minted 16yr old brother can't help but always squeal the tires when he moves into 1st gear.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I never took driver's ed, obviously--the only time I ever drove a car was with my best high school friend on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere when I successfully gave directins to another motorist through the open window and she went away never knowing I was blind--but this makes me think of the old pilot quote, "A good landing is when nobody gets hurt. A great landing is when they can use the plane again afterward."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Try maybe an industrial park road or something. Lanes are wider for bigger trucks coming in and out, but there are markings, parking spots, etc.
    Also go to your local DMV. Sometimes they have a road course that you can drive on when they are closed. School is out so school parking lots are a good choice.
    Make sure she knows how anti lock brakes work. Have her get up to 35-40mph and have her slam them on. That popping thing scares most people, and it is instinct to let off, rather than hold them to the floor!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I'm too old to remember my mistakes but my son was switching lanes and narrowly missed a bus, by mere inches!
    My other son almost side swiped a wall!
    Oh, I'm so glad that's over! GL
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I still can't parallel park. My 1st time driving, I was so nervous and had the hardest time staying on my side of the road. I had troubles going the correct speed (I would either go way too slow or way too fast). Whenever I turned, I would use up every lane. It took me quite a while before I was comfortable driving and only because my dad took me driving as well. He was very patient with me and gave me lots of tips that I still use today.

I knew someone that got in an accident and totaled the new drivers ed car.

I would highly suggest taking dd driving in empty parking lots and not busy side streets. The more time she gets behind the wheel, the more comfortable she will be and the better driver she will be.

My dd passed behind the wheel with an A. She absolutely refuses to get her license. I am very upset about it. I'm hoping that when her brother gets his license next summer, she will change her tune. We'll see.

Good luck
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Oh where to start! When my dad was trying to teach me how to drive a stick shift, I caused him to hit his head on the ceiling and the dashboard in our 1st session! (AFV would've loved that dashcam footage! lol :p) While pulling into a driveway, I knocked over garbage cans. And I failed the maneuverability test TWICE!

If all that doesn't make her feel better, nothing will! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• My son just took driver's ed and got his permit a couple of weeks ago. We've done the parking lot thing. Next for us is around our neighborhood. It's quiet and the speed limit is low. He won't go onto the main roads until he feels comfortable with the idea.

If you want her to continue to practice on larger streets, where lanes are an issue, I would do it at quiet times of the day. Or just do what my driving instructor did to me - you know how to turn? yes. You know where your mom works? yes. Drive there. It involved 2 major roads at rush hour. I passed my road test 4 weeks later (with once a week lessons with the woman)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I grew up driving on the farm so the only real problem I had out on the road was down shifting and turning at the time
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Hmm...gosh, it's been so long since I was a new driver, I really have to think.

Well, during my driving test, I stopped at a light that was next to a fire station, and crossed over this white line on the road that I wasn't supposed to pass if I was stopped, so that the fire trucks could come out if they needed to. Technically, it was grounds to fail me, but when my tester saw how pissed off I was because my school never told us that, she cut me a break and told me to just make sure I remembered it in the future - and believe me, I still remember that! lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I also had problems staying in my lane and would drift to the side. Had there been parked cars I would have hit them. Parallel park?? Not this mama.

2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2013