Do you think a person who had a drinking problem

in the past can drink without worrying that they will relapse back into a drinking problem? i have a family member who has been sober for two years but is now socially drinking. when out she had two drinks then stopped and im hoping she has learned how to control her drinking but im nt sure if i should address my concerns.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 8:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2013 in Relationships

• Mind your own business. Unless she has asked you to hold her accountable, then just stay out of it.

As a social drinker myself, I see nothing wrong with it. As long as she isn't driving or causing harm to anyone, I don't see the issue.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Nope. I have a good friend that was a raging alcoholic and drug addict. Stopped all of it cold turkey when his life turned to shit. Was clean and sober for 15 years. About 5 years ago started drinking socially and now is a drunk again.

I don't think it is possible for those people to know when enough is enough... hence the alcoholism in the first place.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I forgot to add, that there is nothing you can do. She will do as she pleases and it will only cause a heap of trouble if you say anything.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• I would tell her she needs to stop but I would say something in a way that she will receive it as I am concerned and am there for her if she needs to talk.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

Wonder how many people have died in drunk driving accidents due to that attitude...

No, you cannot drink "socially" if you are an alcoholic. Chances are for the days following each drink her body is going through withdrawal all over again, and that can be as dangerous as being drunk.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• No. I agree with NP. If you're an alcoholic you cannot ever drink again, socially or otherwise. My father was an alcoholic and I watched him try all those little mind games. You simply cannot ever drink
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• You missed the part where I said "as long as she isn't driving"

I have seen alcoholics become sober and then drink socially. It can be done. I guess it depends on the reasons the person decided to sober up.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• One size does not fit all. Some people can some cant.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• Alcoholism is a disease, it is an addiction, social drinking is the gateway to going back, because the only way to win over addiction is abstinence....

Answer by older at 9:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2013

• "I have seen alcoholics become sober and then drink socially. It can be done"

Then I would honestly question whether they were an alcoholic in the first place.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2013